[Newbie] Emco Compact 8 Repair

I am attaching the Emco Compact 8 IPB.

There are two things that might help the half-nut issues:
  • Look at the IPB on page 14. You will see 4 hex head screws that hold the half nuts to the apron. Loosen the two screws on the right and adjust the adjusting screw #9 in the IPB until the half nuts move freely but without play.
  • "H" in your pic adjusts the backlash in the lead screw when the half nuts are engaged. Loosen the screw and engage the half nuts, then turn the screw until backlash is eliminated.
My friend has a Compact 8 that we just restored to like new condition. I can ask him to verify the above tomorrow. Here is his lathe:

View attachment 141105

His lathe started out looking just like yours. Now it runs tight, with no backlash in any screw. Nice little lathe!

Just pay attention on the last page (27), it's the parts list of lathe cabinet on the page (26).

Hello, I just joined and just acquired a Emco Compact 8 lathe bed and carriage, the rest is up to me:<) It will be interesting ,but fun at the same time. Lots of questions coming up:<)

Thanks,Steve

I’ trying to remove the Apron on my compact 8 and must be missing something. 4 bolts on top and I took out the 4 bolts on the half nuts and fished them out the side. What’s holding me up?

Attachments

• 5BC6CC0C-48A5-4568-93D5-2827704BC1AB.jpeg
    5BC6CC0C-48A5-4568-93D5-2827704BC1AB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • C5EB52A8-4C66-4BB1-9ED4-19C894BE9E2C.jpeg
    C5EB52A8-4C66-4BB1-9ED4-19C894BE9E2C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 596574EB-12A1-4BC6-AD60-3E953029801A.jpeg
    596574EB-12A1-4BC6-AD60-3E953029801A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I’ trying to remove the Apron on my compact 8 and must be missing something. 4 bolts on top and I took out the 4 bolts on the half nuts and fished them out the side. What’s holding me up?
Also any idea where I can get a set of half nuts they are crumbling.

Hi Mikey,
where did you get the

Compact 8 Lead Screw Mount​

for the crosscut slide?
That is no standard part.

Hi Mikey, where did you get the leadscrew mont for the crosscut slide?

That came off of ebay. I think some guy did a run of parts made on a CNC mill and sold the extras he made so they are no longer available. I can think of a few options:
  • Watch ebay, especially this guy's store. He will eventually part out a Compat 8.
  • Email the owner of Pro Machine Tools in the UK. He may have your part, even though it isn't listed on his site. I did this for a new and very expensive steady rest for my Super 11 and he sold it to me for less than half of a used one on ebay. He is the only source of new parts for Emco lathes nowadays.
  • Pro Machine Tools also carries parts for the current version of the Compact 8, called the Compact 8E. This is a Chinese version of this lathe and I bet the parts will fit.
  • Call Emco USA. I worked with one of their engineers to obtain a pdf drawing of the original cross slide leadscrew so I could reproduce it. They were awesome to work with.
  • Finally, pull yours off the lathe, measure it and either make a replacement or have it made for you. They are not a complex part.
The key reason this part breaks is movement. One of the two screws in front gets loose and eventually the ears crack off. The screws loosen due to chatter encountered in use. When you find/make a replacement, use some blue loctite on those screws during installation. Also adjust out all backlash in the leadscrew.

The Compact 8 was the inspiration for many of the 9x20 lathes out of China. It is very possible your part from one of the many clones out there will fit. Take a look at Grizzly and Jet's clones and see if it will fit.

That came off of ebay. I think some guy did a run of parts made on a CNC mill and sold the extras he made so they are no longer available. I can think of a few options:
  • Watch ebay, especially this guy's store. He will eventually part out a Compat 8.
  • Email the owner of Pro Machine Tools in the UK. He may have your part, even though it isn't listed on his site. I did this for a new and very expensive steady rest for my Super 11 and he sold it to me for less than half of a used one on ebay. He is the only source of new parts for Emco lathes nowadays.
  • Pro Machine Tools also carries parts for the current version of the Compact 8, called the Compact 8E. This is a Chinese version of this lathe and I bet the parts will fit.
  • Call Emco USA. I worked with one of their engineers to obtain a pdf drawing of the original cross slide leadscrew so I could reproduce it. They were awesome to work with.
  • Finally, pull yours off the lathe, measure it and either make a replacement or have it made for you. They are not a complex part.
The key reason this part breaks is movement. One of the two screws in front gets loose and eventually the ears crack off. The screws loosen due to chatter encountered in use. When you find/make a replacement, use some blue loctite on those screws during installation. Also adjust out all backlash in the leadscrew.

The Compact 8 was the inspiration for many of the 9x20 lathes out of China. It is very possible your part from one of the many clones out there will fit. Take a look at Grizzly and Jet's clones and see if it will fit.
Thank you Mikey !

You're welcome. Trust me; I know how frustrating it can be trying to find parts for a lathe that has been out of production for a long time. When we rebuilt my friend's Compact 8, I had to change the bed, the main leadscrew supports, that cross slide main support and also fabricate parts to fix the tailstock and fit a post to the compound for a quick change tool post. We got most parts from ebay but got lucky because that seller I linked to happened to be parting out a Compact 8. Our lathe turned out really great. It is fully functional, tight, smooth and a pleasure to use.

One thing that I strongly suggest is to watch for those parts that can wear or are really hard to find. This includes the cross slide gib, leadscrew and nut and the main spindle. If you run across these items on ebay, grab them for spares. I have spares for all critical parts for my Super 11, including a spindle that is in near mint condition. These parts will cost you but I feel it is a wise thing to do.

You're welcome. Trust me; I know how frustrating it can be trying to find parts for a lathe that has been out of production for a long time. When we rebuilt my friend's Compact 8, I had to change the bed, the main leadscrew supports, that cross slide main support and also fabricate parts to fix the tailstock and fit a post to the compound for a quick change tool post. We got most parts from ebay but got lucky because that seller I linked to happened to be parting out a Compact 8. Our lathe turned out really great. It is fully functional, tight, smooth and a pleasure to use.

One thing that I strongly suggest is to watch for those parts that can wear or are really hard to find. This includes the cross slide gib, leadscrew and nut and the main spindle. If you run across these items on ebay, grab them for spares. I have spares for all critical parts for my Super 11, including a spindle that is in near mint condition. These parts will cost you but I feel it is a wise thing to do.

Hi Mikey ,
thanks for your reply.
We were lucky to find the lathe 40 years old but almost unused.
No wear, no scratches but one broken part and dried out grease and a lot of dust.
We changed the startup capacitor cleaned and greased everything and everything works realy nice.
Someone from the dutch cnczone.nl forum sends me his spare leadsrew mount so i can copy the sizes en remake the part.
In my old mini lathe ( Hobbymat MD65)

If you like i can post the progress.

Back