Emco Fb-2 Gears Question

Hi Mark,
Oké I will do that, but I think its better to open a new thread for this. It has nothing more to do with the FB2 mill, do you agree?
I think its the best to do in the NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS & WELCOMES or in RC models wat do you think?
Greetings
Huib

Yes Huib open a new thread both are good places to do so.
Mark

It's an old thread but I thought I'd add some info for future searchers for FB-2 knowledge.
When taking the top off the FB-2 one must keep the lid level and lift it vertically, the motor shaft carries not only the primary drive gear but also a long plastic shaft with a an Archimedes screw on the end, that's your oil pump which lifts the oil and allows it to bathe all the gears on it's way back down, the shaft can break fairly easily if bent.
If you do break the plastic "oil pump" shaft you can repair it by boring the mating ends and joining with epoxy and a bit of speedo drive inner cable, this also makes it less delicate for future maintenance.
The primary driven gear is a Whale Tufnol ring gear pressed onto a knurled metal hub,

https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/gear (Thanks Volharding for the link)

I've machined several replacements for mine and for others (just the ring, pressed onto the original carrier), although they are an angled gear the angle is small enough that the gear can be cut on a mill with a standard gear cutter and a universal dividing head set to the gear angle,

- Nick

Last edited:
A sorted related question, do people that have a FB-2, notice oil seepage from the bottom of the head? Mine is getting pretty bad. I did notice that in the parts manual that there appears to be multiple o-rings.

A sorted related question, do people that have a FB-2, notice oil seepage from the bottom of the head? Mine is getting pretty bad. I did notice that in the parts manual that there appears to be multiple o-rings.
I have bought a new one (o-ring) at https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/emco-fb2-mill they have severall spare parts.
And Nick thanks for the explanation to repair the plastic oil pump.

Yeah, mine leaks like a Triumph motorcycle or a '70s Vauxhall :D

Back