[How do I?] Emco Maximat 11

rustdreamer

Registered
Registered
Just aquired a Emco Maximat super 11. I cannot get the lathe to run in 300, 600, 1100, or 2200 rpm. The right hand shifter does move to its full throw but the gear to engage into its mate only just touches. (these two gears slide together on the spindle shaft) This lathe came from a school. Is it possible that the gears on the spindle were moved in order to "lock out" higher speeds? Please advise. I know that my description is not exact. I might be able to post photos if I can figure out how. Please offer any advise. this is a nice machine. No wear on the ways and no backlash on dials.

My guess is that the shifter is worn or bent.

The shifter mechanism for the RH knob is either broken or something else is blocking its motion. Best to take the top cover off the gearbox and have a look.

The shifting mechanism is a sliding block, not a shifter fork. Is the sliding block in place? Something is binding, missing or stuck because this is a very simple mechanical connection and not much can go wrong with it. Check the parts breakdown and try to sort out where the issue is.

Just a shot in the dark but check to see if the screw, part 42, is tight. If that is loose, the handle will move but the sliding block may not.

I'll retire for the evening. Start again in the morning. Thanks everybody for your input.

Back