EMCO Maximat Mentor V10

John: I stand corrected, but I would be interested to know how many others follow that practice; I haven't run a lot of lathes but never used a wrench to mount the chucks on any of them, and they were all 9" swing (4.5" across the pond) or smaller with threaded spindles. I believe the South Bend book recommends hands only, but I need to check that- It's been a while since I read it
Mark
ps I twirl the chuck when mounting so that it "thunks" against the spindle shoulder- when done that way it requires a substantial tug with wrench to loosen

Last edited:
Mark, what you are doing is not a bad way and for some machines will be sufficient, however I was taught to add additional security but some of the machines were considerably larger than the 3.5 & 4.5 hobby lathes even so I still tighten the chuck on my Myford with a lever, the super 7 has a spindle lock which does make it easier.
My main concern was that someone may take the "hand tightening" too lightly and as I say it gets very exciting if a chuck come loose -- better safe than sorry
Cheers John

... someone solved my problem. I had the spring loaded metal lever that's just below the QC box in the top hole which is neutral. Position one has a double detent, one hole above the other. The top hole is neutral, bottom is gear. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back