EMCO Maximat Mentor V10

JWW

Registered
Registered
New to this site,

I want to know how to safely remove a chuck from my V10 so I don't damage the unobtainable phenolic gears?

Regards,
-JWW:

Sweet, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks very much.

I have another question. Just wondering why my carriage quit auto feeding when I flip the handle up or down? It used to work. I've never crashed the lathe. Is there something on the left end (gear box end) that has to be engaged (pulled in our out) besides flipping the handle up or down on the carriage?

I have another question. Just wondering why my carriage quit auto feeding when I flip the handle up or down? It used to work. I've never crashed the lathe. Is there something on the left end (gear box end) that has to be engaged (pulled in our out) besides flipping the handle up or down on the carriage?
Yes, there are four places that should be checked if the feed shaft is not turning:
* upper left - lever for forward / reverse and feed disconnect
* far left - knob for feed or threading (pull out for threading, push in for feed
* left end of feed shaft - lever for different feed rates
* lower left quick change gear selector

also, it is possible to purchase a standard steel gear and replace on of the "unobtainable" gears although it may take shaving the gears width and boring the ID.

On the left end of the feed shaft, there is a sleeve that can be moved in or out to engage the shaft. If the feed shaft does not turn then it is either in the disengaged position or the shear pin inside is broken.

I agree with the chuck removal technique, but not re-mounting with a wrench- tightening by hand should be sufficient
M

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a shot tomorrow and see what the situation is. I really like this little lathe for the things I've turned so far (although nothing spectacular).

Yes, there are four places that should be checked if the feed shaft is not turning:
* upper left - lever for forward / reverse and feed disconnect
* far left - knob for feed or threading (pull out for threading, push in for feed
* left end of feed shaft - lever for different feed rates
* lower left quick change gear selector

also, it is possible to purchase a standard steel gear and replace on of the "unobtainable" gears although it may take shaving the gears width and boring the ID.

Thanks ... I don't know much about the actual operation of the gears but would like to. I did replace one of the fiber gears when I first received the lathe as shown in the link below. I know a couple of the metal gears have "a" chipped tooth, maybe two.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/107013569

Update. I haven't used my lathe in a long time due to this situation but wanted to. Now that I have sometime to devote to fixing it, if possible with my abilities, I would like to. I don't know the nomenclature for the items, so I labeled them in the pics.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/temp

I also made a quick video that describes the issues and things I don't understand.

Hope this helps,
-JW:

Back