Emco Maximat Super 11 w/mill Worth

denn

Registered
Registered
A friend has owned it for 30 years, the chip pan had about 2 qt. of chips in all of those years.
It needs a good cleaning. It has a 3 jaw chuck, 5C collet closer, vice, Aloris brand tool post, holders, tooling, 2speed single ph.
I need and idea how much it's worth. Shippensburg, PA. area

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 83
As she sits, you have only the basic lathe with no tooling - no steady rest, carriage stop, follow rest or change gear set. No idea of the amount of wear on the ways or if anything is not working. You have to remember that there is NO factory support for these lathes so any parts you need will probably have to come from ebay; depending on the part, this can take time and will be expensive.

Now, with all that said, this is a really good lathe. Although only an 11" lathe, it is pretty rigid for what it is and the 2HP motor is really 2HP; this lathe can use all of it. I own the later CD version of this lathe and I can tell you that it is put together like a Swiss watch. Everything is clean, nothing needs deburring, and the spindle is extremely accurate. No back lash on any of the controls. The lathe in the pic has a D1-4 spindle so it is the later model, which is good.

The attached mill is nice to have but most guys rarely use them. Personally, I don't like to have that much weight hanging off one side of my bed. Some guys have been lucky enough to find the milling base Emco made and have transferred the mill attachment to that.

A lathe like this on ebay will usually go for over $5K. As pictured, I think it is probably worth more like $3500-3800. If you can get it for anywhere near or under $3K, go for it.

It will cost you to fully tool it up but if you do, you'll have a really fine lathe.

Mikey: Did the early models have a threaded spindle?
-Mark

Mikey: Did the early models have a threaded spindle?
-Mark

If I recall correctly, the early versions came with a MT4 spindle taper and had that DIN 55021 spindle that used the 3 bolts to attach chucks. Later versions (still green color scheme) came with a D1-4 camlock. The later Super 11 CD (painted red and black) was touted as the "big bore" model (it was only 1-3/8" so not that big) and came with a MT5 spindle taper and the D1-4 mount. All models had a hardened and ground precision spindle running in P6 bearings.

It has more tooling then what you see and the metric gear, but it doesn't have 4 jaw, steady rest, follow rest, stop.
There is no wear, the guy before my friend didn't use it much. It's been setting, getting 30 years of coal and welding dust in his garage.
When you say change gear set, I thought you only needed the metric gear, 100+ tooth.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    700.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    882.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    931 KB · Views: 52
There is a separate set of change gears that allow the lathe to cut most any metric or Imperial thread. The quick change gear box is pretty good but it won't do it all; you need the change gear set for that. You also NEED a steady rest and if you plan to bore to precision depths, you need a carriage stop. Other than the tool holders for the tool post, the 5C drawbar and that Emco vise, nothing else all that valuable in the tooling pics.

Nice machine. I had one, minus the milling attachment, and paid $2400 for it. But that was 15 years ago. Collet setup is worth something, if it’s all there. I’d sell the milling head and buy a milldrill or equivalent, wouldn’t want it on the lathe.

I would certainly have a look at it, if it ever goes up for sale ... Shippensburg is relatively close to me. :D

A friend has owned it for 30 years, the chip pan had about 2 qt. of chips in all of those years.
It needs a good cleaning. It has a 3 jaw chuck, 5C collet closer, vice, Aloris brand tool post, holders, tooling, 2speed single ph.
About 3 weeks ago I bought what looks to be the identical machine from a good friend of mine who's had it for about 20 years. I offered him $3500 based on what I'd seen around the internet and on eBay and he somewhat reluctantly accepted the offer (and I see why since he gave me a binder with all of his original purchase receipts). It was also in about the same condition as the one in your photo, that being pretty dirty and a bit gummed up. Prior to moving it the chip pan was quite full and entire ways was covered in aluminum and plastic cuttings that took me a while to vacuum out. I am still working on cleaning it up (lots of Zep Purple, WD40 and commercial grade Windex) to make it as useful as possible; that's a work in progress and will be for a while yet. He used it as a lathe over the years, but almost never as a milling machine really only as a small drill press. It came with several three and 4 jaw chucks and collets, as well as quite a collection of end mills, drills; really quite a mass of parts and accessories that will take me quite some time to sort through and decide what to do with it all. Moving the lathe cost me $150 from a guy with a pickup truck that had a lift gate (and a lot of strapping to secure it during travel since it's pretty top heavy). For moving it around I found a 21" wide pallet jack on Craigslist for $150 that has worked perfectly for maneuvering the lathe around and getting it onto and off the pickup truck/lift gate; that pallet jack was a good investment...

About 3 weeks ago I bought what looks to be the identical machine from a good friend of mine who's had it for about 20 years. I offered him $3500 based on what I'd seen around the internet and on eBay and he somewhat reluctantly accepted the offer (and I see why since he gave me a binder with all of his original purchase receipts). It was also in about the same condition as the one in your photo, that being pretty dirty and a bit gummed up. Prior to moving it the chip pan was quite full and entire ways was covered in aluminum and plastic cuttings that took me a while to vacuum out. I am still working on cleaning it up (lots of Zep Purple, WD40 and commercial grade Windex) to make it as useful as possible; that's a work in progress and will be for a while yet. He used it as a lathe over the years, but almost never as a milling machine really only as a small drill press. It came with several three and 4 jaw chucks and collets, as well as quite a collection of end mills, drills; really quite a mass of parts and accessories that will take me quite some time to sort through and decide what to do with it all. Moving the lathe cost me $150 from a guy with a pickup truck that had a lift gate (and a lot of strapping to secure it during travel since it's pretty top heavy). For moving it around I found a 21" wide pallet jack on Craigslist for $150 that has worked perfectly for maneuvering the lathe around and getting it onto and off the pickup truck/lift gate; that pallet jack was a good investment...

Back