[4]

EMCO , SCHAUBLIN , WEILER , OPTIMUM , LEINEN , and other Swiss / German / French / Dutch - machinnes

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

maxmartnnl

Registered
H i all,
WHY isn't there a specific item about EMCO , SCHAUBLIN , WEILER , OPTIMUM , LEINEN , and other Swiss / German / French / Dutch - machines???
Regards,

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Re: EMCO , SCHAUBLIN , WEILER , OPTIMUM , LEINEN , and other Swiss / German / French / Dutch - machi

I did put an article in the watchmakers forum on an old very unique Andre Beechler pinion cutting machine(Swiss) but didn't get many replies to it---maybe this thread will draw out more of these brands from different countries--I have two French engravers I will get some pictures of and I encourage other members to submit their machine photos also--I know that there is a lot of good quality workmanship in them, and members will enjoy hearing about and seeing them.----Dave

tekfab

Active User
Registered
Re: EMCO , SCHAUBLIN , WEILER , OPTIMUM , LEINEN , and other Swiss / German / French / Dutch - machi

H i all,
WHY isn't there a specific item about EMCO , SCHAUBLIN , WEILER , OPTIMUM , LEINEN , and other Swiss / German / French / Dutch - machines???
Regards,
Dont want to do that, you'll end up with those "Deckel FP1" types, oh no ! :whiteflag:

Mike Young (Maho owner and proud to be one ! )

Richard King

Bronze
Registered

H i all,
Regards,

This is a new category in the Forum that was created after a member asked management a couple of weeks ago. Give it some time please. Maybe you can start out with some info on your machines with pictures?

maxmartnnl

Registered

Hi Dave, Mike , Rich,
I guess I had almost missed it. (And don't worry Mike, I haven't got a Deckel , though a fine SO to grind cutters would be nice to have.)
I hope people will find these pages! Pictures must be somewhere, have to search...
About the Andre Beechler pinion cutting machine(Swiss), these are rather rare I think. Maybe once or twice a year there's something mentioned about these machines, even on the French, Swiss and German ebay they are very rare to be seen or even a part of them. Watch and clockmakers have their own networks, there should be some users there.
Regards,
Max

This is a new category in the Forum that was created after a member asked management a couple of weeks ago. Give it some time please. Maybe you can start out with some info on your machines with pictures?

Dave Smith

Active User

Here are some pictures of one of my French engravers---maybe other members have one all restored and using it. enjoy---DaveDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 023.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 015.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 016.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 017.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 018.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 019.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 020.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 021.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 022.jpg

Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 023.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 015.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 016.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 017.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 018.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 019.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 020.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 021.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 022.jpg

Dave Smith

Active User

So that Scripta is made along the same lines as the numerous Gorton pantographs then?

2D or 3D?

Ken--I don't know what the Gorton machines look like--maybe someone else can relate on the differences if any. as you can see clearly I haven't got it cleaned up and in operation. I bought it at an Amish auction and thought I could make me a sturdy small vertical mill out of it--just haven't got it in my new shop yet to see the possibilities of it. --Dave--*ps --if you come down to my area then be sure to bring lots of cash--and a very big truck ------- just kidding:roflmao:

mckay3d

Active User

Dont want to do that, you'll end up with those "Deckel FP1" types, oh no ! :whiteflag:

Mike Young (Maho owner and proud to be one ! )
What's a Maho?

Maurice in Utah and fondling his FP1

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member

To see Mahos,google Tony Griffiths Engineering and go to his site. He lists hundreds of machines with pictures,details,histories,etc. A huge wealth of all kinds of machines,and the largest resource I know of.

rcflier

Registered

What's a Maho?

Maurice in Utah and fondling his FP1
Oh, you tease - or is it troll?

Maybe I should posts about my 1966 FP2? :thumbsup:

Anywho, Maho and Deckel are close cousins, so it's all in the family.

I think I'll make a few post about some of the lathes I've had (EMCO Super11, a Boley 5LZ and two Weilers, LZD220 and Primus).

Not that I used them really, but I've had them so I'm entitled to an opinion, hehe.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:

Trike1903

H-M Supporter - Gold Member

Just purchased an Optimum F30 mill at auction. Have been successful running the 400V, 50HZ, 3 phase motor on 440V, 60HZ, 3 phase power for 2 hours. Does anyone have experience running this motor setup for a long period of time? (6 months or more).

Also does anyone know the wiring diagram? I have an english manual but the there is no electrical diagram. The place I purchased the mill had a french manual with the electrical diagram but they kept the french manual because they still had another machine.

Found a website for lots of European machine manuals.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=547fe296ecfd561f&id=547FE296ECFD561F!588
Most manuals are in the native language of the builder but some are English. The Optimum is made in Germany but the manual I found is French.

20150130_140754.jpg

Last edited:

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have a Deckel fp1,but to tell the truth,I am so used to my Bridgeport type,I use it all the time,though no doubt the fp1 is a better machine.

chucky

Registered
I have an Emcomat 17s lathe. I have it wired to a vfd, I removed the brake from the motor so all the motor control is done through the vfd. It's a nice lathe to use although the only things I have to compare it to are the old Colchester roundhead student and a myford 7 I used in metalwork classes as a schoolkid. I'm not a professional machinist so make things up as I go along. I think I will be making a thread dial indicator for it one day but at the moment it's easy enough to keep the halfnuts engaged and just reverse it using the remote pod for the vfd. I haven't seen so many of these about which is strange as they get used in training establishments quite a bit. It's an ex college machine so hasn't been flogged to death but it has obviously had a few clumsy buggers at the controls as it has had a few knocks here and there. I've had it for a couple of years now and overall i'm very pleased with it.

front.jpg facia.jpg pot.jpg vfd.jpg lathe.jpg steadies.jpg chucks.jpg IMG-20150516-00202.jpg

markba633csi

Gold
Registered
Wow you are one lucky guy! I would gladly trade my left half-nut for such a fine machine. LOL I believe they are still making those too- $$$
Mark S.
Mt. View, Ca USA

chucky

Registered
Don't believe the hype , it's a decent lathe but leaves me a bit cold compared to older more curvy machines. I know the looks and character of a machine have nothing to do with its accuracy but sometimes food for the soul is almost as important to me. (that's if markba633csi was referring to my post)

markba633csi

Gold
Registered
Oh really? I'm surprised to hear you say that- I think I understand what you mean though- It doesn't have quite the same character of something like a Myford or South Bend- or even a Harrison for example
Mark Silva
(yes it was me who posted)

[6]
[5] [7]