EMCO , SCHAUBLIN , WEILER , OPTIMUM , LEINEN , and other Swiss / German / French / Dutch - machinnes

Re: EMCO , SCHAUBLIN , WEILER , OPTIMUM , LEINEN , and other Swiss / German / French / Dutch - machi

Just purchased an Optimum F30 mill at auction. Have been successful running the 400V, 50HZ, 3 phase motor on 440V, 60HZ, 3 phase power for 2 hours. Does anyone have experience running this motor setup for a long period of time? (6 months or more).

Also does anyone know the wiring diagram? I have an english manual but the there is no electrical diagram. The place I purchased the mill had a french manual with the electrical diagram but they kept the french manual because they still had another machine.

Found a website for lots of European machine manuals.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=547fe296ecfd561f&id=547FE296ECFD561F!588
Most manuals are in the native language of the builder but some are English. The Optimum is made in Germany but the manual I found is French.

20150130_140754.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Deckel fp1,but to tell the truth,I am so used to my Bridgeport type,I use it all the time,though no doubt the fp1 is a better machine.

I have an Emcomat 17s lathe. I have it wired to a vfd, I removed the brake from the motor so all the motor control is done through the vfd. It's a nice lathe to use although the only things I have to compare it to are the old Colchester roundhead student and a myford 7 I used in metalwork classes as a schoolkid. I'm not a professional machinist so make things up as I go along. I think I will be making a thread dial indicator for it one day but at the moment it's easy enough to keep the halfnuts engaged and just reverse it using the remote pod for the vfd. I haven't seen so many of these about which is strange as they get used in training establishments quite a bit. It's an ex college machine so hasn't been flogged to death but it has obviously had a few clumsy buggers at the controls as it has had a few knocks here and there. I've had it for a couple of years now and overall i'm very pleased with it.

front.jpg facia.jpg pot.jpg vfd.jpg lathe.jpg steadies.jpg chucks.jpg IMG-20150516-00202.jpg

Wow you are one lucky guy! I would gladly trade my left half-nut for such a fine machine. LOL I believe they are still making those too- $$$
Mark S.
Mt. View, Ca USA

Don't believe the hype , it's a decent lathe but leaves me a bit cold compared to older more curvy machines. I know the looks and character of a machine have nothing to do with its accuracy but sometimes food for the soul is almost as important to me. (that's if markba633csi was referring to my post)

Oh really? I'm surprised to hear you say that- I think I understand what you mean though- It doesn't have quite the same character of something like a Myford or South Bend- or even a Harrison for example
Mark Silva
(yes it was me who posted)

Back