EMCO Super 11 - Opinions Needed

iim1bek

Registered
Registered
Am looking at an EMCO Super 11 as a hobby lathe. Any comments or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure I have came to the right place for expert opinions ....... :))

I had a Maximat V10 and it was a good machine. The Super 11 has hardened ways and a decent sized spindle bore - 35mm. They are quiet running machines and a great for a small hobby workshop. They were Austrian made and were typical European quality. If you can get it for a reasonable price, jump on it.

Paul.

Well, with lone positive opinion, can't go wrong, right !?!?! Made the plunge and purchased the EMCO Super 11 yesterday. Any newbie guidance would be greatly appreciate. Now the logistics of a move and setup. This hot weather should make it slide into the trailer easier (95º+ in Oregon is killer, hopefully I won't sweat too much for a fat boy) . Will post pics once I get her home .......

If I'm not prying too much, what did you pay for it?

Congrats on your new lathe! Emco's are good quality machines. I think the issue is the cost and scarcity of 2nd hand parts. That and I recall something about a sacrificial gear in the end train made of phenolic or other non- metal. Designed to protect the machine from overload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize this is a little "late for the party" but others can learn sometimes - even from older news! The Emco Super-11 is a great lathe and what is stated above is generally true with the exception of the reference to the plastic gears - there are none! The alternate gears permit a wide range of threading and are all metal - drive gears as well. Some of the smaller units (Emco-5 and maybe 7 did have some plastic) but there were also some Asian rip-offs of these in the mid-late 80's that may have been the source for those. If you find a setup with a quick change tool post it will probably be an AXA version and with a good selection of tools, holders and options, you'll learn to be very productive with this system.

The Super-11 has several power options with 110 setups probably being more popular in the US - 220 volt models are probably more prevalent as far as that ratio goes. Like any good piece of machinery, getting one that has been taken care of is the goal and it's obvious when you walk up and rotate the cross slide - almost no backlash detectable. The spindle is setup for using D1-4 chuck mounts and that opens a lot of doors for 3, 4 jaw chucks plus the collet chucks plus quite a lot of other items that you'll find now on Ebay when they show up. The parts go fast because they are made well and last, so get you check book in order and don't diddle around when you see them available. There is a V13 model that almost duplicates the Super-11 but has a longer bed and larger spindle capacity. Not as many of those show up but if you've got the space, they would be a great option. The Super-11 is far superior to any of the "far east" versions coming in today including those that come with a picture of a bear! Words are not going to sell you as much as spending 15 minutes with one that has been well treated. You'll be figuring out "what you don't really need in your shop" after spending that time! Good luck with your search.

Thanks for everyones input, purchased the machine and now embarking on tooling and a few parts like the thread indicator and faceplate. Any help would be greatly appreciated .....

Best option is simply patience - on Ebay - you don't always have to have it today so watch close, find what you want and pay what you feel it's worth to you. Several of these types of forums also have "buy/sell" sections but you're competing with others like yourself that want specific tools, typically know more about them and will be more competitive than the times you might find a "buy it now" option on Ebay. Not everyone likes dealing with them but if you look at the very limited "retail" resources for the Emco equipment you'll also notice that they too know that some things are harder to find than others and they jack their prices up accordingly.

11" faceplates with the D1-4 mount are listed on there fairly often. The "thread indicator" parts have been there too but far less. I've seen that listed elsewhere but can't recall right now just where. If I find it, I'll pass it along.

I made a nice working OD grinder attachment from a unit sold for a slightly smaller lathe from an outfit called "Micro-Mxxk" - rebuilt it a bit first to improve the lubrication system, not that many dollars but quite a few hours involved and it works great on this lathe. Good luck.

Back