emco super 11 spindle bearings

Sblack

Registered
Registered
Anyone know what grade of bearings one should use to replace the spindle bearings in an Emco Maier Super 11? The numbers they give in the manual are for the size of bearing and type of shielding, but it doesn't specify the grade. These days there are so many cheap bearings out there. I don't want to do this job more than once so I am ready to pay for good bearings if I know what to buy.

Probably ABEC 5, class 7 is used on grinding spindles, not necessary for lathe spindles.

The stock bearings are Class P6, equivalent to ABEC 3's. They are more than adequate. Emco typically uses FAG bearings out of Germany.

FAG is very good about email communication. You can ask them if stepping up one or two accuracy classes is recommended for a lathe. My Emco Super 11 CD was built in the lathe 1990's and is still holding zero run out at the spindle taper so I'm not sure the expense would be justified.

thanks for the replies. Now I just have to figure out how to do it without wrecking anything!

Emco lathes are usually simple to work on. I haven't had the headstock apart but I've done everything else. Everything is logical, everything fits without force. You can essentially dismantle the entire lathe from the parts breakdown. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

The one thing that is not in the manual is how to preload the spindle bearings. This is done with the lathe cold, not warmed up. You put a lathe chuck on the spindle and spin it as hard as you can by hand, then adjust the preload nut (you need a spanner for this) until the chuck makes 1 - 1.5 revolutions before stopping. This procedure was done on the shop floor as the lathe was assembled and the info came from an Emco engineer who worked on these lathes at the factory. Done this way, the lathe runs quiet, smooth and cool, and it is accurate.

Last edited:
Back