emco super11 change gears

Sblack

Registered
Registered
I have been trying to figure out if my 127 tooth change gear on my emco super 11 is a metric gear module 1 or an imperial 26 diametral pitch gear. I have tried several web sites that allow you to draw a gear based on various inputs and none of them match when I print it out and overlay it. I bought a module 1 gear cutter 20deg PA and it didn't fit in between the teeth properly. Does anyone have the real data?

To be honest, I'm not sure what the answer is. Are you trying to duplicate this gear? Super 11 gears are hardened and ground so it might be easier to buy one ... if you can find it. I see them from time to time on ebay.

The headstock gears are hardened and ground but the change gears look like cast iron and soft

Odd. My change gears are ground. Haven't taken a file to them.

I have a qc gearbox so the only gears I have are the 120, 127 and I think a 30.

So, your lathe is not running? The stock gearing on an Imperial machine consists of a 30T on the spindle that meshes with the ganged 120T/127T that meshes with a 90T gear. There is a full change gear set as well.

I guess I'm not clear as to what are you trying to do.

No it's running using the 120 tooth gear. But if you want to cut metric threads you need to gang the 120 and 127 tooth gears. So I currently can't cut metric threads. It's not something I need to do often but it has come up.

With the 30-127-90 gears, you should be able to cut the most common metric gears. If your lathe is running then I assume you have the 90T gear, right?

Do you have the change gear set? If not, then you sort of need that to widen the range of threads you can cut. They come up on ebay from time to time. This site used to carry them for about 1/3 the cost of US suppliers but I don't see any on his site at the moment. He sometimes has stock that is not listed so it might be a good idea to email the owner (Bryan) and ask him if he has a set.

Ok I just thought if you had the 127T gear you were off to the races! Guess I had better RTFM! Thanks fir the heads up and that contact info.

Found a guy who will 3D print the 127 tooth gear from nylon. We will see how many actual threads it will cut before self destructing. I am hopeful that the loads are small enough for the depth of cut you use when single point thread cutting that it will hold up. We shall see. 9 hrs to print it! :eek 2:

Back