Emco v13 carriage lock?

SECODeere

Registered
Registered
Newbie - cleaning on a new to me v13 - the ways are rusty but smooth. Maybe I should say they are stained? I have been working on them with white scotch right and 0000 steel wool. Applied some way oil. Seem better. However the carriage continues to be hard to move back and forth. I was curious, is there a way to change tension on the carriage? Or possibly a lock that may be tightened for transport or something? I struggle to move the carriage with one hand on the wheel?

If you have not removed the saddle from the lathe and cleaned it, you should. Debris can get up underneath and cause this issue. Chips can get up into the drive gear or the toothed rack that can also cause issues.

An Emco saddle should move smoothly, like butter. If it does not then you need to find out why.

I will remove the carriage in the future. I also seem to have found that the lead screw is somehow disconnected at the coupling where the shear pin is on the left side. A shear pin is intact (brass) - I drove it out and it doesn’t seem great but I don’t think it’s the issue. To the right of it there is a larger coupler (has pipe wrench marks on it) and a knurled part. The lead screw seems to be disconnected between these the shear pin collar and this larger coupling where the key looks to reside. I have a parts diagram - but I’m not sure how this comes apart? To access the key inside? Any feedback is appreciated.

When I received my Maximat V10-p there was a lot of dried crud on the underside of both the front and rear ways and embedded in the teeth of the rack. You should remove the saddle/carriage and clean the mating surfaces. The V13 is a terrific lathe.

Pipe wrench marks mean some gorilla has been involved- probably you'll find some improper repairs
The machine is surely breathing a sigh of relief to finally have a good owner :) Emcos are works of art
-Mark

I’m hopeful it is minor. The set screw is also missing from the right hand end of the lead screw as well. Or should I say the cap on the right hand of the lead screw that supports it and a small bearing. I’ll investigate more later.

Tailstock end missing set screw. I hope to find one locally tomorrow.

Attachments

• 3BB9A0A2-C555-4B30-98C0-1A75FCF9E5BC.jpeg
    3BB9A0A2-C555-4B30-98C0-1A75FCF9E5BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
If you have not removed the saddle from the lathe and cleaned it, you should. Debris can get up underneath and cause this issue. Chips can get up into the drive gear or the toothed rack that can also cause issues.

An Emco saddle should move smoothly, like butter. If it does not then you need to find out why.
Looked at the parts diagrams - my next move is to pull the saddle and clean. Is it as simple as removing these 7 bolts? What should I watch out for? Thanks for the assist.

Attachments

• 80946804-388C-4133-8B8D-C25B8FB2EF2D.jpeg
    80946804-388C-4133-8B8D-C25B8FB2EF2D.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 34
Back