emergency stop bar

taycat

Registered
Registered
not sure if in right place.
hoping to get workshop set up again soon.
kids want to use lathe again and rather than standing with hand over em switch want to fit bar they can knock with knee.
i know some lathes have foot operated ones.
how hard are they to fit?
doesn't have to fitted to lathe can be fitted to stand.
needs to knee operated as they stand on platform to be at safe height for working.

Sure you could arrange a microswitch with a bar tied to a latching relay or contactor-but
how big of a lathe are we talking about and how big are the kids?
would it not be easier to just move the existing switch so they could reach it easier?
Mark

like the footswitch idea then i can use it as well.
they are 8 and ten and 4'3" and 4'6".
it's a clarke cl430.
the one in pic this pic is two yrs old and was taken after he had used lathe when using it he had sleeves rolled up out of the way.
couldn't take pic when using it as had hand over stop switch just in case.
tay1.jpg

Sure you could arrange a microswitch with a bar tied to a latching relay or contactor-but
how big of a lathe are we talking about and how big are the kids?
would it not be easier to just move the existing switch so they could reach it easier?
Mark
Geez Mark, every time I look you have another avatar.

Just restless I guess-
I really should go make something
M
ps my take on safety switches is by the time you hit 'em the damage has already been done,
also I think the hand is faster than the foot- it looks like the switch on the Clarke is in a perfect place.

Last edited:
Make sure any Safety / E-stop addition you add does the same function as all of the other devices on the machine.

That is an OSHA reg, that makes sense.

A Cable type E-stop switch might be better option for speed. Long bars for foot action seem to be the standard.
Finding the pocket foot switch in a panic, unless you have foot in there already.

Fastest device is the brain with solid safety practices and knowledge. When I'm using a table saw or band saw, I think about not cutting off my fingers or hand, a reminder that this bad boy can really hurt you BAD. A complacent mind of dangers tends to lead to bad things.

Last edited:
the one in pic this pic is two yrs old and was taken after he had used lathe when using it he had sleeves rolled up out of the way.
View attachment 239665

Shop Gnomes. Wonderful things.

I've had two teenage neighbor boys this summer couple days a week. We are working through my old SMAW curriculum. Yep, every weld gets graded and redone until it's right.
Their mother reports she can't shut them up at dinner about everything they've done and their many failed welds. Evidently they are having fun...

Keep up the good work with yours!!!

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
FYI: NFPA section 10.7.2.1

The types of devices for emergency stop shall include, but are not limited to, the following

(1) Pushbutton operated switches in accordance with 10.7.2.2 and 10.7.3
(2) Pull cord operated switches
(3) Foot operated switches without a mechanical guard
(4) Push bar operated switches
(5) Rod operated switches

10.7.2.2 Pushbutton type devices for emergency stop shall be of the self latching type and shall have direct opening operation.

10.7.2.3 Emergency stop switches shall not be flat switches or graphic representations based on software applications.

Much more to it as well.

Back