emergency stop bar

Cheap automotive two post lifts often have an overhead cable that is connected to the kill switch. Tug the cable and it pulls the "grenade pin" out of the kill switch. Cheap, available, and being cable the positioning of the runs are unlimited. You could do a box with the cable run around the work area, giving access high and low for multi-sized users.

Light curtains are an amazing safety product. Just don't call them E-stop hardware.

As with other designs etc, do what you want, but when you label it E-stop then you got lots of hoops to jump through.

Just call it extra SAFTEY. You could use the foot switch as an open circuit till stepped on. Another words it won't run till you step on it. If you move it shuts off. It won't control the on/ off its just extra .

If you so desired, you could directly control magnetic contactors and the function of a machine tool with a footswitch
We do it everyday in my industry for meat processing

FYI: NFPA section 10.7.2.1

10.7.2.2 Pushbutton type devices for emergency stop shall be of the self latching type and shall have direct opening operation.

Can someone please identify what self latching and direct opening means?

Thanks!!
Daryl
MN

Can someone please identify what self latching and direct opening means?

Thanks!!
Daryl
MN

When the switch is operated, triggered to the open/off/stop position, it stays in the stopped condition when released until manually reset. It latches off.

I think they mean the whole system; the contactor and button together latch closed to run and open to shut off when button is pressed
Mark

Often termed as a "dead man switch" a switch that is normal open is in series with the wire that controls the device.

Assume motor starter is a magnetic operator with a contactor controlled with normal start and stop buttons.

There is usually a loop wire to make the contactor latch.

The stop button usually is in series with that loop or the coil connection.

First hold stop and verify pushing start or run does nothing.

If so then locate a suitable foot switch that is normal open and close on press and wire it in series with stop.

Now one must stand on switch to allow running.

Lift foot and motor shuts off.

One also can use similar process but with a hand held device that forces one to have one hand busy holding it instead of resting on machine...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back