[Noteworthy] Emmert Pattern Makers Vice

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey everybody I have a conundrum.

I have had an Emmert pattern makers vice attached to my bench for years, and I love it. It is a Type U5 and I restored it to “as new” condition when I got it. Low an behold I was cruising Kijiji (Canada’s Craigs List) and I found another, this one a Type U6 and bought it; the price was too good to let pass. I have finished restoring it now and am forced to decide which to part with.

Neither is a “Turtle Back” which are as I understand, somewhat fragile. Both are sound, crack free, solid vices. I am inclined to keep the U6 as the provenance that comes with it is VERY COOL!! But that said, the U5 has been reliable and I have had NO issues or complaints with it.

I am inviting you all to share some of your experience experience or your thoughts as to which vice to keep and which to part with......

I recognize that this is towards the end of the spectrum for a machinist group, but most of us have been involved with woodworking tools along the way, and this is technically a “pattern-makers” vice.

Really appreciate your opinions! I will let you know what I decide by the end if September and will post pics of both.

Best regards to you all.

Derek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of wood experience, but not with either of the Emmerts . Only saw one here years ago and I missed it by a day.

Tough call on which to keep : a museum would keep the one with the story, a mechanic would keep the one with the best function. Do you know which you want to be?

This journey is about experiences, and regardless of the flawless service your U5 has given, if you feel like you need something new to build on, then do. We only get one time around ( I think! ).

Good luck with your dilemma.

-frank

Thanks Frank. The U6 played a roll in some of the molds used in the fabrication of the Avro Arrow, a Canadian aerospace icon. Being a Commercial Pilot myself, that vice automatically has a place in my heart. The only problem is that I “use” my tools. They are tools and they are made to make life easier, better or more convenient. The U5 has been a great vice and I really have nothing negative to say. Thanks for the input though......

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would love to keep both but I’m at capacity as far as bench space goes. As it is I am trying to sell a Starrett 5 inch bench vice that I restored and then I’m going to have to decide wether to keep the 4 inch Wilton Bullet (non swivel base) or the 3 inch Wilton Bullet (swivel base). I need to stop picking up vices, I know. But when you see them, and guys are “giving them away” what’s a guy to do?

Regarding the Emmert though, does anyone know the U5 or the U6 to be better or worse, more problematic than the other? Is one physically superior?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had a turtleback for many years, I got it as a mismatched bunch of parts, the jaws did not line up and there was breakage in the jaw tilt; I completely rebuilt it, and if used with proper regard, it works just fine; it seems to me that these vises were all too much severely abused, after all they are made for pattern work, which is what I use mine for (only). I was recently given a newer type, not sure which type, what is the difference between the U5 and 6? This one had the threaded neck broken off, I bored it out and threaded it then made a new neck of steel, and remade the vise body tilt parts designed from looking at online pictures; I guess I will likely sell it.

Back