Empire State Arms 32 Cal Revolver Help

Probably a .38 S&W, you can make shell by trimming .38 special back to just slightly under chamber length.

If it's a black powder gun, do you really want to disassemble it every time you shoot it?

40+ years ago I started shooting cap & ball and came home from shooting and had a social engagement that evening.

The next morning, my prized 44 was a solid block of rust. It took forever to get it back to shooting condition

This 38 takes a metal cartridge and a bullet with black powder and can be loaded with smokeless powder, but with very small grains of powder for sure. I will have to find a load for it as I did for it as I thought it was a 32. Being a break open it should be easy to clean if I use black powder. I still have to find which 38 shell it needs and I hear it is not a regular 38 so loading it up might be tough. I will look for the right combo and try to see how it does just to makes sure it does work proper. If the black powder is dirty maybe switch to smokeless to make cleaning easier.
Paul

I am well aware of what you have as I have several,similar

That said, black powder is highly corrosive and pretty much requires a complete tear down to clean effectively

PT,
I too have 2 cap & ball pistols plus this one, but my 38 is a different kind of black powder gun and does come apart very easy to clean and will have to try to see how bad black powder is on it. If you do have similar guns do you have a load worked up in black powder and smokeless for my 38? I do have to find which 38 shells it takes and pic some loads to use for it because I did not find the info yet. The pistol only has Empire State Firearms Co. on it and no caliber, hence the mistake, not even patent numbers. The 1915 model I found on the net has caliber and patent numbers on it and since mine does not I would think it was older than 1915. Not too much info on this gun out there that is why I have a lot of questions. Any info would be helpful.
Paul

If I could get around I'd get some empty shells from my hoard of brass in my shop . Wouldn't be hard to make up a safe bp round for the 38 . If my memory serves right they had shorts and longs even an automatic designation. I'm the proud owner of several of these old guns. Even a tiny 22short derranger revolver from the era . Even proud of my cast iron cap guns of old. YUPP we can cut down the shells to your chamber . Being the top brake it'll be easy to clean , just be diligent doing it . I often carry in places I feel weary about , better tried by twelve then carried by six.

PT,
I too have 2 cap & ball pistols plus this one, but my 38 is a different kind of black powder gun and does come apart very easy to clean and will have to try to see how bad black powder is on it. If you do have similar guns do you have a load worked up in black powder and smokeless for my 38? I do have to find which 38 shells it takes and pic some loads to use for it because I did not find the info yet. The pistol only has Empire State Firearms Co. on it and no caliber, hence the mistake, not even patent numbers. The 1915 model I found on the net has caliber and patent numbers on it and since mine does not I would think it was older than 1915. Not too much info on this gun out there that is why I have a lot of questions. Any info would be helpful.
Paul
I wouldn't begin to shoot any of them.
My interest in gunsmithing began about 1968 when I found a box of disassembled guns in the basement, there were several of this type in the box. Who knew it would turn into a lifelong vocation-at least until a president decided to make it harder for small shops to be licensed

Family lore says the last time the one of mine was shot, my great-grandfather used it to shoot the skunk that was eating my great-grandmother's chicken eggs under the front porch!

A fair starting load with pyrodex P pistol bp substitute would be 10 grains with a conical lead bullet . But I'd get some paraffin wax in slab and punch out wax first to shoot. Use a shell to cut the wax bullets. With black powder seat the bullet tightly to the powder NO AIR SPACE . If needed you can use cardboard over powder wads. Or waded up tissue paper tamped over the powder. Normal small pistol primer for 38 shells. The charge listed is about 10% under the 36cal. Bp load. I'd start here but wouldn't go over 20 grains. I look this up on the pyrodex powder site under hodgdons powder .

Last edited:
Silverbullet,
I did cut down a 38 special to a little less than chamber depth and it seams to fit nice. I did just put a primer in the shell and will try that to see what it does first. I do only have regular BP 3F I think as I do not shoot BP that much just in the 2 cap and balls which I have not shot for awhile and do not remember which powder is in the 2 cans and will have to check. When I did think it was a 32 someone said that 1.6 grains of bullseye smokeless will work also, not sure about the 38.
Paul

Never use smokeless powder in a BP gun. No matter the volume it's construction is made to burn longer creating much more pressure. Triple f bp Will work in the same grain amount as the pyrodex powder. Pleas DONT TRY THE SMOKELESS POWDER. IF YOU CAN MAKE A NEW CYLINDER WITH GOOD STEEL IT WOULD SHOOT NORMAL 38 loads. The pressure is in the cylinder not the barrel.

Back