EMT center line marker

KMoffett

Active User
Registered
OK, I'm sure I've reinvented the wheel(s). I have no experience with multiple bends. in EMT. I needed to make an "offset bend" in some 3/4" EMT. First bend is no problem. However, the second must be bent so there is no "dog leg". From the YouTube videos, the electrician just sights down the hicky and crosses his fingers. I thought there must be a way to accurately mark a center line on opposite sides (180°) of the EMT. Mount an Ultra Fine Sharpy in a block at half the O.D. of the EMT and slide it along both sides. Since all parts of the Sharpy body are tapered it would be a little difficult to get it level in a block. So...Wheels! Nylon disks with an O.D. of the EMT and center holes that interference fit on each end of the Sharpy. Mark a line on each side of the EMT. Align one line for the first bend, and bend. Then align the opposite side's line for the second bend. and bend.

Ken

EMTMarker1.jpgEMTMarker2.jpgEMTMarker3.jpgEMTMarker4.jpg

Good job. That’s all fine and dandy. With the tubing so perfect, then make sure the wall(s) you attach the EMT to is flat and square. Or just tweak with foot and swearing to fit:). I have maybe one EMT job a year. Never enough to remember any bend math! If it’s a multi bend job, I buy a little extra and take notes on the bends I make, so I can repeat or correct as necessary. Can you use the seam down the tubing for the same purpose?…Dave

Last edited:
No walls! This if for three EMT legs, for an 8 foot tall vertical wind tunnel. I'm helping some students test a competition rocket for inherent and controlled rotation.

Ken

Part #2/4:39. "Doggin' the pipe."? I see that there a lot of references out there to "anti-dog" devices. I also noticed all the demo's use 1/2" EMT and big, muscular guys. ;) And some benders have "anti-dag screws" for "3/4 and larger" EMT.

Another educational day!

Ken

I just buy the pre bent 45's and 90's and use. :grin:

Back