Enco 105-1100 for sale; thoughts?

I paid $500 for my mill/drill. An RF30 branded as an Ecel 30. Did not come with any tooling except for a Walther 15" rotary table that I sold to a local machine shop for $1000. I would go look at the mill drill in Buelton. That is a nice drive up the coast and not far from you. No LA traffic to contend with. It won't last long at $250.

Thanks for the heads up! I just texted the seller for the Santa Maria one. Stay tuned!

I found 2 more a bit of a drive away. One seller wanted $1400 for a newer-looking Jet M-D18. I told them that other mills of this type were selling for around $500-600 and ones priced the same as theirs were just sitting. They got pissy and told me to buy a new one for $2600. I said I could buy a new one for about $1800. Whatever. I made an offer, don't get mad! Counter offer!
What is it with people pricing stuff way out of line, anyway? I always look and see what else is selling at for what price. Contact the sellers and ask what they sold it for. Look at how long the item is on CL for. If it's more than a few days, it's overpriced.
Here's a photo. There were more but they were as bad or worse than this one:
jet black and white 1.jpg
The other one is a green rusty one that looks like it's been sitting outside for a few years. They want $1,200! Seriously:
mill rusty.jpg

Here's another one. Thoughts?:
Extremely well made Enco (1994 Taiwan built) mill drill. Almost like new. Comparable to Jet mill drill @ $4000 plus. (See https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/35295237). The bed is 24" x9", twelve speed belt drive, two horse single phase motor. It comes with three vices and a lot of misc tooling that would cost around $1000. The mill and tooling have had very little use and have been very well cared for. It's a steal at $2000. Complete with tooling, cabinet and chip pan

enco mill NB 1.jpgenco mill NB 2.jpgenco mill NB 3.jpg

Motor has a date stamp of 199X (can't read the last number at all in the picture). Seems a bit on the high side, but it looks like it's in good shape. I can get a Grizzly (G0705 with stand) for around $2,000 delivered. How much is the tooling (vise, bits, etc) really worth? A vise, collet set and bits are about $500 delivered. What are those bits in the upper right?
I'm thinking this mill package is worth more like $1,000-$1,300. Thoughts?

BTW, is this annoying to post like this on this forum? I really appreciate the feedback and am learning quite a bit, but I want to make sure it's cool to post about sales like this. I'm actually enjoying the comments and it's really helping me. These mills come up for sale more than I thought.

Not annoying at all. Keep posting. These are my thoughts The basic mill/drill is worth $500 give or take. The 3 vises depending on brand is around $300. Used end mills are all over the map but I would not pay more that a buck or two apiece and only then if they appear to be in good condition. My last garage sale find was a coffee can full for $10. In my humble and unknowledgeable opinion I prefer ER collets over the 5c collets in the picture. Why? because I can use them on my lathe and the mill/drill. I paid around $100 on Ebay for a complete set of ER32 metric collets and mt2 and r8 adapters for the lathe and mill/drill respectively. Don't know what the stuff is in the upper right corner.

I think that the Mill/drill in Buelton for $250 is the best deal that has been posted so far. Any word back from that seller? It is worth the drive.

Not to change to subject but did you hear back from the seller of the lathe down in Warner Springs?

Not annoying at all. Keep posting. These are my thoughts The basic mill/drill is worth $500 give or take. The 3 vises depending on brand is around $300. Used end mills are all over the map but I would not pay more that a buck or two apiece and only then if they appear to be in good condition. My last garage sale find was a coffee can full for $10. In my humble and unknowledgeable opinion I prefer ER collets over the 5c collets in the picture. Why? because I can use them on my lathe and the mill/drill. I paid around $100 on Ebay for a complete set of ER32 metric collets and mt2 and r8 adapters for the lathe and mill/drill respectively. Don't know what the stuff is in the upper right corner.

I think that the Mill/drill in Buelton for $250 is the best deal that has been posted so far. Any word back from that seller? It is worth the drive.

Not to change to subject but did you hear back from the seller of the lathe down in Warner Springs?

I will keep posting! I appreciate all the help.
So you think about $850, huh? I hesitate to offer less than half of the asking price; people tend to be insulted. Not that I care, but I want them to work with me. Maybe I'll offer anyway and see what they say. It's only about 30 minutes away, so that helps.

I just talked with the Mill/Drill seller in Buellton. The top is missing and one handle broke off (he has it, I think) because they got damaged in shipping. He uses it to drill metal. He doesn't know if it will take a collet at all because it's always had the drill chuck in it. He bought it used from someone else. He bought a BP so he's selling this. I asked him to take a few more close-up pictures so I can research what it might need.

I did not hear from the seller (Enco lathe, right?) despite sending a few emails.

UPDATE:
I talked to the seller. He's a gunsmith and machinist selling it for a friend who wanted to get into machining. This friend never used it. He bought it from some guy (was in the Navy) who bought it new (in 1994, I think), used it a few times, then died of old age.
He told me it's "like new". I told him that the price was on the high side and said I'd offer around $1,000 based on seeing ones that are not as nice sell for less than that. He told me it has "nice" vises. I didn't ask what brand. He reiterated that it's just like the $4,000 one, but he couldn't tell me which Rong Fu it was similar to. Seems like he should know that if he's as experienced as he says. He has people coming tomorrow to look at it. I told him if they don't buy it to call me. I also told him to pass on my offer to his friend. He says he will, but he's not sure his friend is going to go for it. He says the first person to give him a wad of cash gets it. Sounds like all the usual script that people say! Ha!

However, am I off base here? This is yet another mill that's priced really high based on the seller thinking they "know what they have". The cheaper ones ($500 +or -) get snapped up really quick, so the "ideal" list price is maybe around $1,000 or less, with the actual sell price being in the $500-$800 range perhaps. I offer what I think it fair and they don't even counter, except to say they know what it's worth. I've asked sellers of the ones I didn't get what they sold it for and they were all in the sub-$1,000 range. I want to offer a fair price, but maybe I'm being unrealistic?[/QUOTE]

--------------------
Here's another one. Thoughts?:
Extremely well made Enco (1994 Taiwan built) mill drill. Almost like new. Comparable to Jet mill drill @ $4000 plus. (See https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/35295237). The bed is 24" x9", twelve speed belt drive, two horse single phase motor. It comes with three vices and a lot of misc tooling that would cost around $1000. The mill and tooling have had very little use and have been very well cared for. It's a steal at $2000. Complete with tooling, cabinet and chip pan

View attachment 278900View attachment 278901View attachment 278902

Motor has a date stamp of 199X (can't read the last number at all in the picture). Seems a bit on the high side, but it looks like it's in good shape. I can get a Grizzly (G0705 with stand) for around $2,000 delivered. How much is the tooling (vise, bits, etc) really worth? A vise, collet set and bits are about $500 delivered. What are those bits in the upper right?
I'm thinking this mill package is worth more like $1,000-$1,300. Thoughts?

These mill/drills typically have an R8 spindle and whatever is in the spindle is held in place with a drawbar. A drawbar is a fancy name for a threaded rod that goes down through the quill and screws into what is in the spindle to keep it in place. My best guess is that the drill chuck has an R8 arbor. Personally I would not worry about not having a top. The pulleys are way up in the air. I have to stand on a step stool to change the belts. I don't have the top on my mill/drill. It would take some elbow grease to clean up the $250 mill/drill. I would find out what it has in tooling that comes with it. In the 3rd picture you can see a handle, a rotary base for the vise, a bunch of T nuts and what appears to be bolts and hold downs. If all he uses it for is to drill holes there probably isn't much in the way of tooling.

Hard to say what the $2000 mill/drill might be worth. It is bright and shiny and does not appear to have any problems. If all the tooling is shown in the pictures it does not have much in the way of tooling. All depends on how much of a premium you are willing to pay for bright and shiny. I am retired and a card carrying member of the independently poor. So I watch my pennies pretty closely. I rarely pay for bright and shiny.

To compare the two I would make a spread sheet with what I would want in the way of tooling in the first column. In the 2nd column I would list what the $2000 mill/drill has and in the 3rd column the cost to add what is missing. In the 4th and 5th columns I would do the same for the $250 mill/drill.

It will be interesting to see what you finally end up with.

These mill/drills typically have an R8 spindle and whatever is in the spindle is held in place with a drawbar. A drawbar is a fancy name for a threaded rod that goes down through the quill and screws into what is in the spindle to keep it in place. My best guess is that the drill chuck has an R8 arbor. Personally I would not worry about not having a top. The pulleys are way up in the air. I have to stand on a step stool to change the belts. I don't have the top on my mill/drill. It would take some elbow grease to clean up the $250 mill/drill. I would find out what it has in tooling that comes with it. In the 3rd picture you can see a handle, a rotary base for the vise, a bunch of T nuts and what appears to be bolts and hold downs. If all he uses it for is to drill holes there probably isn't much in the way of tooling.

Hard to say what the $2000 mill/drill might be worth. It is bright and shiny and does not appear to have any problems. If all the tooling is shown in the pictures it does not have much in the way of tooling. All depends on how much of a premium you are willing to pay for bright and shiny. I am retired and a card carrying member of the independently poor. So I watch my pennies pretty closely. I rarely pay for bright and shiny.

To compare the two I would make a spread sheet with what I would want in the way of tooling in the first column. In the 2nd column I would list what the $2000 mill/drill has and in the 3rd column the cost to add what is missing. In the 4th and 5th columns I would do the same for the $250 mill/drill.

It will be interesting to see what you finally end up with.

Good idea! Do I need to add anything to this list? Where's a good source to price these out?:
4" vise
end mill set
collet set (1/8"-1/2")
parallel set
123 blocks
clamping kit
dial test indicator
dial indicator (I have one)
fly cutter
drill chuck
center drills
drill bits (I have a set of these, but listed them so you'd know I didn't forget them)
boring head
angle block set

Back