Enco 105-1100 for sale; thoughts?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There is an Enco 105-1100 the seller wants $1,750 for. I asked him what he based the price on. He says he knows what these cost and he's seen prices in that range. It's been for sale for about a month. It needs feed handles on the mill table and a vise (3 feed handles are about $100). It comes with a partial clamping kit and some cutters. Says he got it from a guy who had it in the garage and used it lightly (isn't that what they ALL say!). He says the table is in nice shape. The motor has a date of 1989 on it. Mill was made in Taiwan. It's local to me (I live in SoCal) so I can pick it up.

I'm familiar with the issues of a round column machine, but this will suit my needs for size and accuracy. Actually, it might be a little too big, but I know that's better than too small!

I think this is too much based on being able to get an admittedly inferior HF one for about $900 with a coupon. I also saw a similar one a little farther away that I can get for about $650 with no tooling at all. Brand new (MSCDirect, Rong-Fu) they are about $2,800. I wanted to see what the consensus was on this forum.

I want to offer significantly less, but want to make sure I'm offering a fair price and be able to justify it.

I can go check it out and report back, so let me know what I should ask and look for.

Thanks!
enco mill pic 1.jpgenco mill pic 2 tooling.jpgenco mill pic 2.jpgenco mill pic 3.jpg

Pretty sure that's an RF-25, made in Taiwan, not China like the HF equivalent. I have an RF-31 and it has a different base at the bottom of the column, the table is bigger and the quill diameter is bigger. The RF-25 is still a good little benchtop mill that weighs about 400# so it will work fine in a hobby shop. I'm sure you're aware of the issues with the round column; not a real major issue. These little mills are pretty capable and can be made to run accurately. My spindle has less than 0.0001" TIR so they can do accurate work within their envelope.

In my opinion, the tooling is not worth much and I wouldn't allow that to figure into your decision or the price.

Most of us add an X-axis powerfeed and if you get one then you will need at least one handle for the other end of the table and one for the Y-axis feed.

The RF-25 is a lighter version of the RF-31 and it cost less to buy new, too. I would think this one should go for around 800-900 bucks and it is worth that if it otherwise in good shape. Personally, I think the owner doesn't know much about this machine because he is pricing it at the level an RF-31 would bring if in mint condition. If he won't bite, walk on and wait for a more sensible seller. They sold these by the thousands; another one will turn up.

Around here Asian round column mills can be purchased for anywhere from $800.00 to $1200.00. It looks nice, but that might be a
bit on the high side price wise.

We have all seen them at that price, and have not bought them. He is dreaming.
I can't tell if it's an Rf30 or 25 from the pictures. But regardless, it's too expensive. Without knowing the condition, the tooling is very limited. I didn't see colletts or toolholders, well perhaps 1 toolholder, so the bits can't be used. The face mill might be good, but I bought 2 last night for $25. The holdown set is missing a lot of pieces, and in any case can be bought for around $40-50 on Ebay. I would value the accessories at little more than $100. Plus the base, which new is around $150.
That still leaves the machine itself priced between $600-1000 high.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The extra tooling is not worth the cost and hassle of the missing parts. Make up your mind what it is really worth to you, tell him in person the price is too high, give your final CASH offer, take it or leave it, a phone number, a date the offer is good until (couple days to a week?), OR until you buy another machine), written on a card or piece of paper, hand it to him and tell him you truly hope he gets his asking price, but to call you if he really wants to make a sale. Then walk away and stick to your offer.
You may not get to your car before he stops you...

Go here and look at the specs to sort out if it is an RF-25: http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/rong_fu_rf_25_mill.htm#RF-25 Specs

Measure the quill diameter (RF-25 has a 2.44" OD quill) and the table dimensions and compare them to the specs above. The shape of the base of the column strongly support that this is an RF-25. When you check it, look for the scraping on the Y-axis ways that Rong Fu of Taiwan did to these machines; should be evidence of the flaking pattern on the ways.

Ideally, you want to take a magnetic stand and dti with you can check static run out. If run out is excessive, greater than 0.0005", then it means the bearings might be gone or going. Just that alone should lower the price to within reason.

I'll agree with the others. It's not an RF30. Not worth near the asking price.

Too much $$ especially with no vise and missing parts

Back