Enco 105-1110/RF-30 just landed in my shop...

New stand construction is also underway. I'm building it from doug fir 4x and 2x lumber with 3/4 Baltic birch ply panel inserts. Multi layer BB top.

Front will have 4 srawers on full extension slides and 'll mill inserts to hold the end mills, collets etc...

My scribbled rough dimensional drawings...

I purchased the rough lumber and squared 2 sides on my jointer and planed to final dimensions of 3 1/4 x 3 1/4 for the legs and 1 1/4 x 3 1/4 for the rails and cross braces.

More to come...

Keep it coming your giving us ideas. I was looking at making my frame out of 1 inch square stock. What kind of slides are you going to use on the drawers.

Keep it coming your giving us ideas. I was looking at making my frame out of 1 inch square stock. What kind of slides are you going to use on the drawers.

Thanks. I do hope that these posts are helpful to someone.

I've used this construction method on a few other projects with great results. There will be 3/4 baltic birch plywood inset into grooves in the legs and the rails. Once those assemblies are glued together they make for extremely strong panels. I did a similar construction on the ends of my reloading bench with 3/4" melamine.

The rails are attached to the legs with pocket screws but the glue is doing much of the work. Example of the construction from the reloading bench build...

Additional cross bracing reinforces these joints but here you can see the basic pocket screw construction.

Drawers will also be BB plywood with dovetail construction. I typically use 1/2" for the sides and 1/4" for the bottoms but I'll use 1/2" bottoms on this project for added strength given the potential weight in these drawers. These are the drawer parts from the reloading bench.

They are milled using a Porter Cable dovetail jig.

Last edited:
Vacation day today so that equals a morning spent in the shop. Got the stand parts cut to length and the grooves for the panels milled on the router table.

I also cut the panels and drilled for the pocket screws. Dry fit everything to make for sure I was good.

Pretty much just a matter of lots of glue in the grooves and clamping everything together so I can put in the pocket screws.

Added the front rails and the basic assembly is complete.

I added a couple of cross braces also attached with pocket screws. The base is plenty stout for sure.

That's going to be about it for today and I'm out of town until next week so will resume construction then.

Yea, I saw the post on the other thread first. you have to see the comment. Again it is looking good.
How much does it weigh. Also what brand of draw slides are you using. I'm looking.

Thanks. Not sure how much it weighs but it's hefty and still quite a bit of weight to add. I could add some pavers or chucks of steel in the bottom if I feel like it needs more. I have 3 1/4" of space below the drawers.

I've been using these cheap slides from Amazon for the last few projects. So far they've done very well. 100 lb. rated. Full extension. I'll probably put 2 sets on the bottom drawer. At this price I suppose I could double up all of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Friho-Hardwa...=8-4&keywords=18+full+extension+drawer+slides

While I was out running around this afternoon I took a few minutes to stop by my local Habitat Store. Scored a massive 1 3/4" thick solid core door for $10.25. Love these solid core doors for bench tops. Super heavy and flat. I had to take a few minutes to cut it to size. I'm going to brake up some stainless or aluminum to cover it.

New stand is 33" tall and the one that came with the mill is 31".

Little more progress. I ripped some 2x lumber for supports for the 3/4" BB ply that I'm using to mount the drawer slides and got all of that glued and screwed to the cabinet.

Cut more 2x lumber and pocket screwed those pieces into the top structure to mount the top and eventually the mill. Even got to whip out the old 606C Bedrock plane to get everything dead flat so the top mounts to a rock solid base.

Had my buddy at my local sheetmetal shop fab up a stainless pan to go on the top.

Started milling some chunks of white oak to house the end mills and such so I can finalize what the drawer configuration is going to be. I think these are going to work out pretty well. I have a bunch of scraps so I'll make these for all the mills, collets etc..

Dude... you're making my lathe bench feel bad. That's some nice work!

Could consider making one drawer deep so you could store tools mounted in collets upright. Then again 3 thinner drawers in the space of the taller drawer could store them flat.

Back