[4]

Enco 105-1110 vs Clausing 8520

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jeepbilt

Registered
Greetings, new guy here with a choice problem. Enco, with power table feed, tools include rotary table, dividing head and matching tailstock, boring head, fly cutter, 2 end mill sets, extensive clamping set and a couple of vises all for $3000.00. In excellent condition. Clausing 8520 with 1 vise, has been sitting for a while, under cover. Everything moves, nothing seems 'loose', in need of a good cleaning. It was used as a 1 function machine. Cost is zero. Enco is ready to run, Clausing would get a tear down. If I had room for both there would be no choice to make, but that is not the case. I'm "listening".

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hard to beat free..I have same model enco..does what I need.. But free.i would jump on it..no room for both?.get both..use enco until clausing is restored and running.keep tooling off enco if you keep Clausing.then sell the one you don't want..

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Get the Enco. You will spend most of the $3000 buying tooling for the Clausing. And the Enco will be worth that or more should you ever want to collect stamps instead.

jeepbilt

Registered
So far, just what I was thinking, except the stamp collecting, either oil cans or beer cans.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
The Clausing, hands down
the Enco is a round-column mill, very common and less desirable than the 8520

Last edited:

Martin W

Clausing 8520, Plus 1 for me. There is enough used tooling around and you could buy a fair bit for $3000. Free is good as long as it is restorable. ( no falls down stairs etc..)
Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Martin

jdedmon91

Registered
It depends on 2 things $ and space. If you have both I’d go that way. Depending on the hours you can put in the Clausing it would be a while before you can use that mill. If your getting a vice collets and some milling cutters that can mount up to 3k quick.

Besides in fixing the Clausing up. You will probably need to mill some parts. Even if you find the Clausing not feasible to repair then it will bring something for scrap or part out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattthemuppet2

Clausing - free, a knee mill and not a round column mill drill, far more valuable in the 2nd hand market. They usually sell for a premium as they're easily transported, fit into a smallish space and are big enough for most hobby work. They typically go for $2k+ in decent condition, more if you're in a machinery desert. The MT2 spindle isn't ideal, but get a MT-2>ER25 collet chuck and mount all your stuff on a 1/2 or 5/8 shank straight arbor and you're good to go. I can't see the $3k just in tooling - buy what you need as you need it and you'll easily be up and running from scratch for a few hundred. Tear down and clean isn't a big deal as it's a good idea to do that with any used tool.

bob308

Registered
get the clausing it is a real mill not a toy. if you shop around you can tool up for less then 3,000 more like half. from what you said it sounds like wipe it down and oil it and you are good to go. I have a 8520 have had it for 25 years. I made a lot of money on it even taught a guy to machine on it.

Manderioli

Registered
What is the intended use for either machine?

Al 1

Registered
Free is nice. But as said, what is the intended use? Some of us like tearing down old iron. Which takes a bunch of time. I have a old name model of the 8520 before it was clausing (Johansson). I do like this machine. So in my opinion go for the clausing.

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Late $0.02 worth! As an owner of an Enco round column mill/drill I can assure you it is not a toy! The square column or gib guided mills do have the advantage of not having to be trepanned after raising or lowering the head, however there is such a thing as planning your work to avoid many head moves. There are ways to align a head without trepanning such as a light beam and a mark on a shop wall. A gentleman in Australia has a method of maintain alignment with a vertical steel bar. If the clausing will function and is not worn out go for it and spend the $3k on tooling. A power feed in the X direction is a must in my books.
Have a good day
Ray

jeepbilt

Registered
Thank you all for the input. The decision has been made, Clausing. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I like old iron. On occasion , I have purchased the oddball old tool at a flea market just to hang it on the wall and admire it. The Clausing will fit in just right with my Benchmaster vertical mill and my Walker Turner drill press. Much appreciation for the comments and suggestions. This will be a winter project, I'll post some pictures when I get started.

[6]
[5] [7]