Enco 105-1110 vs Clausing 8520

jeepbilt

Registered
Registered
Greetings, new guy here with a choice problem. Enco, with power table feed, tools include rotary table, dividing head and matching tailstock, boring head, fly cutter, 2 end mill sets, extensive clamping set and a couple of vises all for $3000.00. In excellent condition. Clausing 8520 with 1 vise, has been sitting for a while, under cover. Everything moves, nothing seems 'loose', in need of a good cleaning. It was used as a 1 function machine. Cost is zero. Enco is ready to run, Clausing would get a tear down. If I had room for both there would be no choice to make, but that is not the case. I'm "listening".

Hard to beat free..I have same model enco..does what I need.. But free.i would jump on it..no room for both?.get both..use enco until clausing is restored and running.keep tooling off enco if you keep Clausing.then sell the one you don't want..

Get the Enco. You will spend most of the $3000 buying tooling for the Clausing. And the Enco will be worth that or more should you ever want to collect stamps instead.

So far, just what I was thinking, except the stamp collecting, either oil cans or beer cans.

Reactions: Z2V
The Clausing, hands down
the Enco is a round-column mill, very common and less desirable than the 8520

Last edited:
Clausing 8520, Plus 1 for me. There is enough used tooling around and you could buy a fair bit for $3000. Free is good as long as it is restorable. ( no falls down stairs etc..)
Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Martin

It depends on 2 things $ and space. If you have both I’d go that way. Depending on the hours you can put in the Clausing it would be a while before you can use that mill. If your getting a vice collets and some milling cutters that can mount up to 3k quick.

Besides in fixing the Clausing up. You will probably need to mill some parts. Even if you find the Clausing not feasible to repair then it will bring something for scrap or part out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clausing - free, a knee mill and not a round column mill drill, far more valuable in the 2nd hand market. They usually sell for a premium as they're easily transported, fit into a smallish space and are big enough for most hobby work. They typically go for $2k+ in decent condition, more if you're in a machinery desert. The MT2 spindle isn't ideal, but get a MT-2>ER25 collet chuck and mount all your stuff on a 1/2 or 5/8 shank straight arbor and you're good to go. I can't see the $3k just in tooling - buy what you need as you need it and you'll easily be up and running from scratch for a few hundred. Tear down and clean isn't a big deal as it's a good idea to do that with any used tool.

get the clausing it is a real mill not a toy. if you shop around you can tool up for less then 3,000 more like half. from what you said it sounds like wipe it down and oil it and you are good to go. I have a 8520 have had it for 25 years. I made a lot of money on it even taught a guy to machine on it.

Back