Enco 105-1110 vs Clausing 8520

Free is nice. But as said, what is the intended use? Some of us like tearing down old iron. Which takes a bunch of time. I have a old name model of the 8520 before it was clausing (Johansson). I do like this machine. So in my opinion go for the clausing.

Late $0.02 worth! As an owner of an Enco round column mill/drill I can assure you it is not a toy! The square column or gib guided mills do have the advantage of not having to be trepanned after raising or lowering the head, however there is such a thing as planning your work to avoid many head moves. There are ways to align a head without trepanning such as a light beam and a mark on a shop wall. A gentleman in Australia has a method of maintain alignment with a vertical steel bar. If the clausing will function and is not worn out go for it and spend the $3k on tooling. A power feed in the X direction is a must in my books.
Have a good day
Ray

Thank you all for the input. The decision has been made, Clausing. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I like old iron. On occasion , I have purchased the oddball old tool at a flea market just to hang it on the wall and admire it. The Clausing will fit in just right with my Benchmaster vertical mill and my Walker Turner drill press. Much appreciation for the comments and suggestions. This will be a winter project, I'll post some pictures when I get started.

Back