Enco 110 2030 schematic

If you look at Hoover's original photo, you'll see two terminals "behind" the R1 and 9 terminals - labels not visible. I'm pretty sure these are for the coil, but I should let Hoover verify this.

the terminals in back are attached to the coil- these are the ones I used to bench test.
I don't think they have labels.

when I took the assembly apart these two terminals are attached to the removable coil.

coil.JPG

So these coils operate on 120 volt AC? There's no stepdown transformer in the circuit?

as far as I know, yes. there was a small transformer in the box- not hooked up to anything.

So when you took the contactor apart, did you see any broken parts? It seems the coil must still be ok if it buzzes, there must be some physical reason why the contacts won't close- a chunk of metal chips jammed in there maybe?

It is extremely clean inside.
Nothing looks broken.
The lathe runs properly when I push the override button on the contactor.

When I bench tested it (no power except for energizing the coil) it buzzes. I (think) that when energized the coil is rapidly applying/releasing.
I could be totally wrong about the cause of the noise.

I guess at this point, working without a schematic diagram, I would try substituting the good one for the bad or vice-versa, make sure you're not
on a wild goose chase and that the "bad" contactor is truly bad. Then if you are 100% sure the contactor needs replacing, start looking for a close match online, possibly from China via Aliexpress or Ebay.
It's normal for 120 volt ac contactors to buzz somewhat, they are not silent like dc types, but the buzzing doesn't necessarily mean a bad unit
If the other one doesn't buzz at all there's still something odd going on, and I would want to find out what it is before ordering any parts

The spindle does not turn in the direction that is controlled by that contactor unless I override the coil by pushing the override button.

I will try switching contactors and see if the problem follows the part.

I have looked for a same/similar contactor with no luck. most have 4 sets of terminals, instead of the 5 I need.

thanks

Last edited:
The spindle does not turn in the direction that is controlled by that contactor unless I override the coil by pushing the override button.

I will try switching contactors and see if the problem follows the part.

I have looked for a same/similar contactor with no luck. most have 4 sets of terminals, instead of the 5 I need.

thanks

I had a contactor go bad on my Enco 110-2071 a couple of years ago. Couldn't find a contactor with 5 terminals either. Took the old one to a local motor repair shop and the owner came up with a 4 terminal contactor with a single terminal "piggy-back" contactor. It was a tight fit in the electrical enclosure but I got it to fit. Been working great ever since. I'll take some pictures and see if I can get some part numbers for reference.

Here are pictures of my electrical enclosure and the 4 terminal contactor with the single terminal "piggy-back" contactor.

It's tight fit but it does fit.
IMG_0358.JPG

Close up of the 4 terminal contactor.
IMG_0359.JPG

Here's a picture of the single terminal contactor mounted to the 4 terminal contactor. I couldn't read any part numbers but as I recall it is also a Square D item.
IMG_0360.JPG

Back