Enco 110-2031 Lathe, wiring setup

I would change out the motor also if you want to go vfd. Trying to run a single phase motor on a vfd could easily destroy the vfd
-M

I would change out the motor also if you want to go vfd. Trying to run a single phase motor on a vfd could easily destroy the vfd
-M
I have a photo of the tag on the motor, but there's no description of the frame size. Is there an easy way to tell what size would fit in here? Also, this is only 1/2HP, that seems pretty small for a 12" lathe?

Oriental motors typically have their own oddball metric sizes, you would most likely need to make an adaptor plate to use a US frame size like a 48 or 56
If you were upgrading you might want to go bigger than 1/2 hp

my shenwai lathes came with anemic 1hp single phase motors
i upgraded to 3hp/3phase on one unit with vfd, the other is 2Hp/3ph and vfd
both perform flawlessly

If you are thinking about a variable speed motor that is a great feature to have- once you have it you will be spoiled
-M

I have a '94 model of the same lathe. I too had a patchwork of about 6 manuals, none of which actually fit my lathe exactly. The G9249 was the best manual and darn close. Tailstock on that one was MT3 and mine is MT2.

Here is a thread I made on it, maybe there is something useful for you in there.

Alright, so we're back at it. I now have 220v service installed, and an electronics wizard went over the wiring and thinks that he has the switch figured out. The switch is installed, and with much confidence, I plugged it in (no smoke), disengaged the e-stop (still no smoke), and gently switched the fwd/rev, and... nothing. No click, no motor, nothing. A bit of probing (I am experienced in electronics, but my work is generally 3v3 or less), and I seem to have 220v where it should be, and 24v coming from the transformer, but clearly something's still not right.

Has anyone ever seen a wiring diagram for a setup like mine? It has the little 24 VDC relay and a tiny little rectifier to power it, along with the two contactors, and what appears to be a circuit breaker of some sort.

The problem isn't that I don't understand the theory, the problem is that I haven't a clue what the connections to the contactors are. There's wires connected to them in all kinds of weird spots.

It may be worth pointing out the energizing the small relay would connect wires #3 and #6 through the relay.

@Ulma Doctor , you concluded that #3-#5 and #3-#4 are the fwd/rev pairings. Connecting #3-#4 does NOT start the motor in either direction. Is it possible that #3-#6 need to be connected by the switch as well?

Last edited:
Also, I have been informed by MSC that this is a "Tida" lathe, of unknown specific model number (Enco changed machines all the time, their "model number" is more of a "rough machine specification" than anything). The manual I have doesn't have a wiring diagram, though.

I have a Samson/Tida lathe and am currently in the process of changing to a 3 phase motor rather than trying to find replacements for the contactors (heaters).

When you engage the fwd/rev switch do you hear any clicking?

This is my control box that has some worn out contactors in it.

Here's a wiring diagram if you don't already have it.

Tida.png
I strongly suggest upgrading your membership to get access to the downloads section of this site.

Well worth it and it goes towards supporting the site.

John

No, there is no clicking when the switch is engaged (in either direction).

I have upgraded my membership, and I have examined that exact document. It doesn't, however, seem to match the wiring setup my lathe has.

If I decide the best option is to simply convert the whole thing to 3-phase, where does one source a 1.5/2hp 3-phase motor? The VFDs can be had from Amazon, but I have no idea where one would purchase a motor like that...

Back