Enco 1236 Lathe questions

jung4g, could you check to see which connections are wired on your emergency shut off switch. I thought I found the problem as one of the leads was very loose pretty much off. When I put it back on it didn't make a difference.
I'm assuming these shut off switches are NC (normally closed), the Grizzly manual isn't much help as it has a differnt type of switch, but it did look like NC. When I test it, the readings don't change. If it is NC I could temporarily tie the leads together to at least test if its the switch or not, but there are two other screws (a 3 & 4 on the other side)
If it's this then I would have to find a switch like this one some place..
switch2.jpg

Looks like 2 and 6 on the terminals at the bottom. I’m almost certain that two wire input is from the emergency stop button.

55819AE6-2D46-4F83-81A7-77F2FF020F19.jpeg

Here are some other shots from in the box:
656A3AFC-C7AC-41E8-8DA7-08E4786D03DF.jpegCE90E921-274A-4404-B718-CE07FD24CC63.jpegF4CB9942-2E89-4681-979B-290B51F1F6DA.jpeg3CE6E66C-AFC7-4EFA-975D-2D83AD58F875.jpeg

And here’s the carriage stop switch:
0AFAE505-9951-45B3-A948-92A24885818D.jpeg

jung4g, thanks for the pictures. I don't have the carriage stop switch, mine looked some what simple, just the E-stop and barrel switch.

The good news I was able to confirm my problem was the emergency shut-off switch, confirmed it was a NC switch and I jumped across it and confirmed the lathe works.
I now just need to locate a new switch, I might have an in, my wife works for Allied Electronics which sells all kinds of components, tomorrow see what she finds out.

Good deal! I love seeing things like this come back together.

Whatever you get doesn't have to be too fancy, you won't use it too much. Probably something like this one should work: https://www.alliedelec.com/omron-safety-sti-a22e-m-01/70033797/

Have her grab some new strain reliefs as well!

Yeah the carriage stop switch is something my uncle rigged up, that's not a standard item I've seen anywhere else, but it's wired inline with the E-stop switch as an addition to that circuit. I think it's a nice addition to make things a bit safer.

Dave, stupid question but do you also use Mobil Vactra #2 as a gear oil? My understanding this is way oil and it has some sticky properties to better ad-hear to the ways.

Sorry for my hiccup. You are correct the Vactra is Way Oil. I ordered this and was focused on the ISO 68 called out in the manual. My spindle oil was given to me by the fellow who sold the lathe to me, so I have to find a spindle oil of ISO 68 .

Last edited:
The new e-stop switch came today and ran to MCS for some of the gear oil, was going to pick up some way oil too, but they were actually out of it.
Anyway the new e-stop is installed and we are back up and working. Spent some time today clean the lathe and oiling.

Jung4g, question for you, oiling the quick change gear box, I'm guessing how you do that is there is a reservoir just above it, it;s not like the Grizzly manual which has some plugs. As I already had a screw missing from the top cover and when I took the other screw out there looked to be like a thin sponge a reservoir area and then some hole down into the gear box. If you look at my first picture the yellow tape measure is setting on this cover and if you look at your picture with the carriage stop switch it looks to be mounted to these same screws.
Can any one confirm you just put the gear oil in that area?

hi pmason,
i have manuals that may be of some use
they are cousins to the enco and made in the same factories.

Attachments

• Jet Lathe1024P (Y) 1236P(Y).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • LAM Lathe Manual.pdf
    13.4 MB · Views: 49
  • Precision-Bench-Lathe-Operation-Instructions.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 35
  • g4002_m-grizzly 4002 lathe cam lock spindle.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
Uima, great thanks, the Jet one looks the closest as it shows the holes under the cover above the QCGB, looks like you just put a little oil in each hole. Thanks again.

Back