Enco 12x36 Lathe Rebuild (Picture Heavy!)

Nice work on your lathe. Just went through you entire thread. I have the Grizzly G9249 which is almost exactly like yours. I just ordered a DRO for my unit. Saves having to deal with backlash.

On the Cross Slide, did you use the cover for the scale or because it is upside down, did you not put it on. I haven't received my DRO yet but it appears to be the same scales, with a slightly different display. DRO

I assume you entered the different tools into the tool list on the DRO to make switching easier. ON other lathes I have used that function, I have found it necessary to monitor the inserts to ensure I account for wear and if I move the quick change tool post, I generally reset the tools in the DRO.

On the subject of replacing the single phase motor with a three phase. Have you looked into that? I would be concerned with finding one that would fit into the tight space I have on my Grizzly. Just wondering if you have already done the research and what you found?

I have the cover for the cross slide but haven't installed it yet due to pure laziness. I will have to cut a hole in the top for the cross slide lock so I'm not sure how much it will do.

This DRO doesn't have a tool table, but it has SubDatum Memory (SDM). This is sort of like work offsets in CNC, but on a lathe it is perfect for tracking tools. Just remember which SDM# goes with which tool. You would absolutely have to account for insert wear and I NEVER move my toolpost, even before the DRO.

I have not looked into the motor personally. I don't expect to have much trouble though. 3 phase motors tend to be smaller for the same HP, although I do expect I will need to adjust the mounting locations. You can always move the motor further back on the lathe and use a longer belt. Also your 3 phase motor won't have capacitors sticking off the top so it can be a larger diameter without hitting anything.

Thanks for the reply. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread.

Your on post where you took on a paying job. Do you get much small job type work in? I plan to retire in a couple of years and at that time will be moving and hope to have a real area to set up my shop. Right now all my tools are in storage, so sadly I am living (Machining) vicariously through others. But still updating and adding to my tools in preparation. My hope is to do some small jobs to help with the funds and keep me busy.

Thanks again for the reply.
Patrick

Thanks for the reply. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread.

Your on post where you took on a paying job. Do you get much small job type work in? I plan to retire in a couple of years and at that time will be moving and hope to have a real area to set up my shop. Right now all my tools are in storage, so sadly I am living (Machining) vicariously through others. But still updating and adding to my tools in preparation. My hope is to do some small jobs to help with the funds and keep me busy.

Thanks again for the reply.
Patrick

Patrick,

I don't do much job shop work. It has all been word of mouth between friends and coworkers. I've done maybe a dozen different jobs over the last 5-6 years. I do not advertise and I don't go looking for work. I really enjoy doing the jobs, getting a little spending money for more shop tools, and most importantly getting to take part in my friend's projects. I already work a full time job, so I am selective on taking hobby jobs that are fun and don't seem like work.

I have done a few freelance engineering jobs too which has been a blast. My favorite was helping a guy get setup to do injection molding in China (I still get a million marketing emails from China though :rolleyes:).

If you need a project to keep you busy, I recommend picking up a steam engine kit. I could care less about engines, but I have loved every minute of working on the one I am doing. very challenging but rewarding!

-Mike

Just picked up a Grizzly G9249 that needs some TLC, so this thread has been amazing.

Mine came with a replacement Baldor L1322T motor that was mounted by someone who shouldn't have been mounting it. The motor belt was attached to the first position for the spindle belt on the idler pulley. To make things worse, one of the two bolts that attaches the motor mount to the motor base plate was missing along the tensioning bolt, leaving the motor just flopping around keeping tension on the belt only by its own weight. Bought it for decent money because guy selling it admitted it "had a little noise coming from the headstock."

The Baldor only has a single pulley installed on the motor shaft instead of the factory two step pulley needed to properly switch between "A" and "B" settings for the spindle speed. I'd like to keep the Baldor on the machine, but need to source a two step pulley for it.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to measure the key size and the diameter of their motor shaft along with the diameters of the two steps on their motor pulley? This would help out tremendously on figuring out which route I should go. Thanks in advance - Owen

Owen,
I measure the motor form my G9249 above.
Have you gone to Grizzly's website. You can download the manual and spec sheet for the lathe. Also, Grizzly's technical support can provide you with a great deal of information about any parts that you may need.
Unfortunately, the motor pulleys are not readily accessable for measuring on the G9249, at least mine which has a bolted on shield that is not easily removed or I would take additional measurements for you.

Thanks Patrick, I do have a copy of the manual.

I went ahead and just ordered a replacement motor pulley from Grizzly, but the pulley I received was not a stepped pulley. It is a dual pulley with two belt sections, but both belt sections are the same size (2.25" OD).

I don't believe this is the right pulley and have been hesitant to install it, as I do not see how this one would change the motor speed and tension the motor belt properly when changing between the two stepped belt sections for the motor belt on the idler pulley.

I have an email in to Grizzly's tech support, but can anyone confirm if these lathes used a stepped motor pulley with two different diameters???

It looks like from one of Mike's pictures on page 1 of this thread that his motor pulley has two different diameters. This is also what the spindle speed configuration chart and the parts diagram appear to depict. It's completely possible that I'm just not seeing/understanding this properly though!

Any help from owner's with original parts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Patrick, I do have a copy of the manual.

I went ahead and just ordered a replacement motor pulley from Grizzly, but the pulley I received was not a stepped pulley. It is a dual pulley with two belt sections, but both belt sections are the same size (2.25" OD).

I don't believe this is the right pulley and have been hesitant to install it, as I do not see how this one would change the motor speed and tension the motor belt properly when changing between the two stepped belt sections for the motor belt on the idler pulley.

I have an email in to Grizzly's tech support, but can anyone confirm if these lathes used a stepped motor pulley with two different diameters???

It looks like from one of Mike's pictures on page 1 of this thread that his motor pulley has two different diameters. This is also what the spindle speed configuration chart and the parts diagram appear to depict. It's completely possible that I'm just not seeing/understanding this properly though!

Any help from owner's with original parts would be greatly appreciated!
I’m right there with you. I ordered a pulley from grizzly expecting it to be stepped but received a dual groove. Somethings not right as shown in this picture in my thread:

IMG_20200807_134909910.jpg

I just really hope grizzly acknolwedges something is wrong, because it makes no sense for them to send a dual row - single size pulley

In my copy of the owners manual for the G9249 it show a stepped pulley on the motor. Part no. P9249080 on page 69 pic is on p68.
Don't know if that's what you ordered.

Jim

mkelly - I just found your thread before checking back over on this one...I'll post over on yours as it looks like we are going through similar issues!

mkelly - I just found your thread before checking back over on this one...I'll post over on yours as it looks like we are going through similar issues!
I'm headed home. Do you guys still need the measurements on the pulley? Mine still has the original and it's off so its easily accessible.

Back