Enco 12x36 Lathe Rebuild (Picture Heavy!)

Macardoso
I added one of the link belts to the motor on my lathe and it sure smoothed it out. Also with the new jones+smith I had to move the capacitors to a box on the back of the head stock because with them on the motor it couldn't be lifted high enough to easly switch the belt on the pulleys. Found a small bucket that fit the back of the motor so it got hacked up until it slide up around the motor hopefully keeping swarf out ot the motor.
I am still looking at building a chip guard but so far its still a plan.
Jim

Those link belts are great! Honestly they are the only way I’ll replace the belt inside the headstock when my current one goes. They’re pricy but totally worth it.

Those link belts are great! Honestly they are the only way I’ll replace the belt inside the headstock when my current one goes. They’re pricy but totally worth it.
What size belt did you buy and from what vendor?

Mikesweb
I bought mine off ebay because of price and I bought the 4 foot one. It came quickly and ended a vibration problem cause by the original stretched one.
Not sure which vendor it was but it was the green one.

Jim

FYI, these belts stretch considerably as they run in. You'll likely need to remove a link or two after a week of use.

Got a quick paid job on the lathe last night. Simple shaft adapter machined from 1.25" bar stock. EDIT: Made 4 of them. Took me about an hour.

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg
I really got to push the lathe on this one. Using the DRO SDM function, I could quickly change tools without remeasuring which was awesome. I used a CCMT32.52 to rough in the profile with 20-30 thou remaining on all faces. I then came back with a CCGT32.50 to finish all the faces to size, a SCGT to add chamfers, and finally parting it off and facing the back side to length. Took me just over an hour to do all 4. First one took most of the time to dial in the measurements.

Roughing was done at 410 RPM, 0.0073in/rev power feed, and a hefty 0.200" radial DOC. That put the cut at 1.98 HP using 25.3 ft/lbs of torque at the spindle. This is actually a bit beyond the capacity of the motor, so I'm guessing the motor slowed enough to pull the power consumption right to its maximum. Pretty amazing to watch it do work like this

Last edited:
macardoso
Did you use the same holder for both inserts? and what holder.
Jim

Nice work on your lathe. Just went through you entire thread. I have the Grizzly G9249 which is almost exactly like yours. I just ordered a DRO for my unit. Saves having to deal with backlash.

On the Cross Slide, did you use the cover for the scale or because it is upside down, did you not put it on. I haven't received my DRO yet but it appears to be the same scales, with a slightly different display. DRO

I assume you entered the different tools into the tool list on the DRO to make switching easier. ON other lathes I have used that function, I have found it necessary to monitor the inserts to ensure I account for wear and if I move the quick change tool post, I generally reset the tools in the DRO.

On the subject of replacing the single phase motor with a three phase. Have you looked into that? I would be concerned with finding one that would fit into the tight space I have on my Grizzly. Just wondering if you have already done the research and what you found?

Back