Enco 30 220 Wiring problems

Braintangler

Registered
Registered
My 110v plug that came with the machine was missing the ground, so I decided to switch it to 220. The .pdf of the manual I downloaded doesn't have any wiring instructions. The other drawings that I can find online (supposedly for the Enco 30) only show 6 connections on the terminal strip at the motor - mine has 8. I tried to wire it according to that, but flipping the switch literally leaves me in the dark (circuit breaker trips). Obviously something is very wrong. Can anyone help (and make it simple)? Here is the drawing I am working with. The fwd/rev switch is factory, and the motor appears to be. It runs fine on 110 both directions. Thanks!Screenshot_20171212-222004.png

I’m not being critical and I hope it doesn’t sound that way but the simplest solution would be to put a new cord cap on your power cord that has a good ground. Why go to the trouble of rewiring it especially when you do not have the proper diagram? You stated it works fine on 110.

Well, it's done and I still need help, so if anyone has one wired for 220 and can be helpful, I would be grateful.

And not to hijack my own thread and start the often misunderstood 110 versus 220 debate, but FOR ME halving the current draw has advantages like longer life for the switchgear. Less load on my 110 circuits in my small shop. Cooler running motor. 220 outlet close to the machine....

Again, help is appreciated.

Point taken
Looking at the one pic you posted it is really hard to tell what you do or don’t have going on. Does the switch in the diagram match the switch you are using? What about the extra terminals in your peckerhead, what are they being used for that’s not in the diagram posted? More info needed

for 220v operation:
L1 goes to motor terminal 1
motor 3,5,2 are shorted together at the motor terminal strip
motor 4,6 are shorted together and L2 is connected to those 2 leads

the motor has 6 leads, L1 and L2 are the incoming power- giving the 8 leads you stated earlier

Brain you'll need to provide more info, is this a lathe or milling machine? Can you post a better picture of the motor terminal strip?
Where did you get the diagram in the first posting? Not sure what the pushbutton does- jog button?
Mark S.
ps you're correct about 220 having advantages over 110, it's worth doing

Last edited:
I have the same mill, and have the original manual as well. WIll take a look and see what I find. Mine is 110 also. My problem is no 220 in the garage thus unable to use anything with 220 at this point.

for 220v operation:
L1 goes to motor terminal 1
motor 3,5,2 are shorted together at the motor terminal strip
motor 4,6 are shorted together and L2 is connected to those 2 leads

the motor has 6 leads, L1 and L2 are the incoming power- giving the 8 leads you stated earlier
Thank you, that got it!

Back