Enco 4 jaw chuck

That's great if you only machine cylindrical stuff. I have several 3 jaw chucks and have not used them for years. If you
use a 4 jaw all the time, you get very adept at centering a part. Not only that, it is easier to center a part with the 4 jaw
than swapping out two heavy chucks. But then I machine on all kinds of shapes and I'm a 4 jaw kind of guy. :chunky:

I was just referring to the OP stating he was writing coordinates down so it was repeatable. So not having to indicate all the parts. With a 4j you will be indicating every part either way.

By being repeatable I was thinking of just the swivel base being easily centered on the spindle. I realize that I would have to dial in the work if using a 4 jaw chuck. With the swivel base centered I wouldn't have to dial in the swivel and then dial in work every time.

This may not be a good idea. My plan is to have both the vice and swivel base mounted all of the time with the vice mounted just to the right of center on the table and the swivel base mounted just to the left of center. Before I saw the enco chuck I was planning to use one of my lathe chucks or this face plate (wrong terminology??) depending on the project at hand.

IMG_3792.JPG

I have decided to bail on this chuck. It is too big and heavy to be used on my lathe and probably won't do what I would like it to do on the mill/drill. And I need an edge finder and would like a dial caliper. Those items would be a better use of the $50.

Thanks for all the comments.

Back