Enco 4 jaw chuck

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There is an enco 10" 4 jaw chuck for sale for $50 not far from me. Virtually no info in the listing. The only identifying mark is A014 stamped on the face of the chuck. I have searched online and did not find anything about this chuck. Before I call the seller I would like to learn as much as I can about this chuck Anybody know anything about this chuck?
I don't really need this and it might not fit on my craftsman 12x36 lathe. This is the only picture

enco 4 jaw chuck.jpg

That's a bit of a large chuck for a 12" lathe . Not a bad price though .

I was thinking the same thing - kinda' big and heavy. Are your spindle and bearings up to it?

I think I would pass and get one no larger than 8 inches.
As soon as the jaws stick out of the chuck 1 inch they will crash the bed or carriage.

For $50, or possibly less on an offer, I would grab it as trade material/clean up and resell at a profit, or use on a welding positioner, or if your a tool junkie like me, a great excuse to buy a bigger lathe. :) Mike

Those were my thoughts too about being too big and too heavy for my lathe. I have an 8" 4 jaw chuck and a 6" 4 jaw chuck. So its not like I need another 4 jaw chuck for the lathe. Where I thought it might live is on my mill/drill. I took the swivel base for my vise and modified a backing plate to fit the base so I could use my lathe chucks on the mill/drill. Kind of a crude rotary table that I can set to .1 degrees using a vernier scale.

IMG_3791.JPG

Without a chuck on the swivel base the top is lower than the bottom of the vise. So I shouldn't have any clearance issues when using the vise and with a chuck on the base the top of the chuck is higher than the top of the vise. Again no clearance issues. I am working on dialing it in and writing down the X and Y coordinates so it is repeatable. That way I won't have to dial it in each time I want to use. I can just move the table to the X and Y coordinates.

That's what I am thinking.

Those were my thoughts too about being too big and too heavy for my lathe. I have an 8" 4 jaw chuck and a 6" 4 jaw chuck. So its not like I need another 4 jaw chuck for the lathe. Where I thought it might live is on my mill/drill. I took the swivel base for my vise and modified a backing plate to fit the base so I could use my lathe chucks on the mill/drill. Kind of a crude rotary table that I can set to .1 degrees using a vernier scale.

View attachment 305425

Without a chuck on the swivel base the top is lower than the bottom of the vise. So I shouldn't have any clearance issues when using the vise and with a chuck on the base the top of the chuck is higher than the top of the vise. Again no clearance issues. I am working on dialing it in and writing down the X and Y coordinates so it is repeatable. That way I won't have to dial it in each time I want to use. I can just move the table to the X and Y coordinates.

That's what I am thinking.
Good idea, but it will be heavy so once in place you may not move it too often.

The only chuck I can see being useful is a 3jaw unless forced to use a 4j. Every time you move the jaws on a 4j you will loose center and have to indicate the part. With a 3j at least you wouldn't have that problem as long as the chuck repeats.

The only chuck I can see being useful is a 3jaw unless forced to use a 4j. Every time you move the jaws on a 4j you will loose center and have to indicate the part. With a 3j at least you wouldn't have that problem as long as the chuck repeats.

That's great if you only machine cylindrical stuff. I have several 3 jaw chucks and have not used them for years. If you
use a 4 jaw all the time, you get very adept at centering a part. Not only that, it is easier to center a part with the 4 jaw
than swapping out two heavy chucks. But then I machine on all kinds of shapes and I'm a 4 jaw kind of guy. :chunky:

Back