Enco 405GX1500 Manual ???

smoky4712

Registered
Registered
Hello all
I am new to the forum. I was just given an Enco 405GX1500 Looks to be in good shape, Other than at some point being tipped over onto its face. I have been desperately looking for a Manual for this machine. It looks to have most of what it came with steady and follow rest, 3 and 4 jaw chucks . It is shoved back into a corner, and I have no idea how long it has been there. If anyone has an Idea where I could source a Manual I would be great full. Also if any of you have a similar model lathe it would be great to talk to you.

The next task at hand, getting it out where I can really inspect it, build a skid and figure out how to ship it 1800 mile to my home. Any advise on that would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance, Mike
IMG_20190121_103249.jpg

Wow... Not even a hello, good luck with that.
From what I can tell it must not have been a big seller. But someone must know something about it. Not even MSC has anything on it when I told him it was from the 80's he said well we wouldn't have anything that old.
Bottom line it's a machine, I will be able to figure it out. But it sure would be nice to have some reference material.

Try www.lathes.co.uk. You might have luck there. That's a big machine. Do you need something that big? 1800 miles is a long way.

Hello
I was looking for a lathe about that size. I just happened to stumble across it in a storage building on the job site that I'm working at. I asked about it and they said get it out of here. So the price is right. It's nearly worthless as it is, but the only damage I can find is the carriage hand wheel, cross slide handle and the carriage stop brackets are broken and some minor cosmetic stuff.
I have, since my first post possibly found a way to get it shipped for free. The company I work for has trucks going back and forth to within ten miles of my house. So the cost may just be the material for the enclosed skid that I will build for it.
Thanks for the tip on a place to look for the manual. BTW I was just chatting with a friend in Cardiff. When I told him how far away from home I am working. He said "1800 miles would d be several countries away for me"

Im still having no luck on finding a manual. I guess I will just have to wing it.
I hope to drag it out of the corner this weekend so I can get all the way around it, and build a skid to ship it. I will post a few more pictures when I get it out in the open. If anyone is interested.

I'm interested, don't know how I missed your first post. Free lathe stories are always hot topics around here. It looks like one of the larger Encos that were made, but I've only seen manuals for a couple smaller models. I'm sure you will need 3-phase power for it- 5 horsepower or more?
Can't beat the price tho! Be careful moving it
Mark

Last edited:
As I said hoping I will have some time tomorrow to drag it out. I may even have some help. Once I get it out in the open, I have a 5000 pound forklift I can use. I have an engine hoist that I will likely start with. I think I can see saw it up onto some cribbing then get some skates under it. I also have a pair of toe jacks, large pry bars all kinds of rigging. I think I'm set.

Hello all
I finally managed the time to pull the old lathe out of the corner. I did notice after it was out that the chip pan is in the machine backwards. as you can see the name plate from the back side. Now it seems to be more clear the 405G x 1500 obviously millimeters, and the G is for Gap bed. Still no luck with the manual, but not giving up. Every time I go near the thing, I end up covered in sticky black filth. Really looking forward to getting it cleaned up.
For those that are interested, I will try to post pictures as I progress. Crating, shipping, cleanup, and repair.

That's some chuck of iron for free! Wish I had the space for something that big (although some of our members would call that a baby)
If Grizzly makes a lathe that big you may find some parts that interchange like handles and gears, etc. I believe Precision Matthews also makes a 16" lathe so they might be able to help with parts also.
Mark

Well its been more than a month since I have posted. I had some time today so I decided to do some more research. Minor progress, I think I figured out who made the lathe for Enco.
I knew the Lathe was made in Taiwan. so after an hour or so I found this picture. It is a Chien Yeh CY 405G x 1500 it appears that they also made a
CY 405G x 1000 I haven't given up yet. Also maybe a Chinese company has made its clone.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 367
Back