Enco 6x18 Surface Grinder

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Did/do these have a good reputation? Made in China?

Enco sold surface grinders supplied by different vendors and many different models over a long period of time. What grinder is it specifically, Duane?

Not sure yet Bob. All I know it is a 6x18 and has the ball roller table but has a bad cable. I don't think any chuck is provided and I can not inspect under power. The owner bought it from a friend who was the original owner. He said it is taking up space and plans to sell for scrap. Offered it to me for $400. I may go and look at it today. Unless it's in nice condition, which will be hard to tell if I can't run it, $400 may be to much.

Well, scrap is under $100/ton, and you have to deliver. Since it has known issues and cannot be shown to run, that is the most it is worth. The next question is whether you want to attempt to turn scrap into working machinery. Any major thing wrong with it and it will probably make economic sense to scrap it. Don't get me wrong, it may turn out to be fairly easily put back to work. Give the machine and the owner the sniff test, is what I would do. Any claims by the seller are subject to "show me" or being disregarded. Mentally set your default to walking away and then see what happens. Don't be negative with the seller, be realistic. It is worth going through the process just to learn how to do it and become comfortable in the scrap buyer role. A lot of sellers ultimately need to get rid of things they have for sale, and will find it difficult to let you walk away empty handed.

I have one and have been very happy with it. It sure is a heavy sucker. I worked my ass off getting it installed and had a heart attack and a quadruple bypass the evening after I installed it.

Randy

Most of the enco machines were from Taiwan and they seemed to be good quality. But that don't mean anything if there abused. Any machine if it's given good maintenance will last longer and work better. Many shops run machines to death. Others have them for fifty years and there the ones I try to find. I have a big old beautiful landis 1 1/2 surface grinder it came from a shop closing after fifty years in Philadelphia. Used the day before they delivered it to me. I found one screw missing in a thin cover , everything else is great the magnet is huge also. It weighs in at 1,000 lbs or so. American made to boot. I'm just going nuts with all the pain and no relief , last round of shots made me worse not better, next bout in June 29th I think . Timed far enough to get more money from Medicare and my copay which I'm not able to pay its over $8,000 just my part. Ill be dang if they need that much for the time it takes to do the shots . Next ones I have to be knocked out for. No local this time.

Back