ENCO 7x12 bandsaw help

jgarrett

Registered
Registered
I just bought a ENCO 7x12 bandsaw and everything works but the vise screw slips. The ACME nut has a hole in it covered by a flat spring. What goes in the hole beneth the spring??? The spring was turned to one side so I assume whatever was in it fell out at some time.
Thanks,
Julian

Can you post some pics of what is going on?

I need to know what is under this flat spring.. mine is missing.
Thanks,,18937-c7c74afd99e2405a2b0ff88a3d7fddc0.jpg

Looks like there should be a plunger/pin with a section of female thread to engage the screw - bronze maybe? It should be fairly easy to fake one, get the required form by pressing e.g. some epoxy putty onto the *well oiled* thread through the *well oiled* hole on a well-fitting dowel, allow to harden some and remove while you can, then when it's fully hard use as a reference to make a copy with a Dremelloid or similar, or if you want to be flash (and your lathe will do threads that coarse) machine a matching end on the plunger (might be an interesting workholding challenge, clamp on a V-block on the faceplate?) with a matching tip in a boring bar (expect horrible amounts of chatter and a banging interrupted cut!).

It's probably (and looks like) a square thread though, not an Acme, an Acme could push the plunger out of engagement under load thanks to the flank angle, unless there was a positive stop holding it engaged?

Dave H. (the other one)

Oh, one more thing - if you do it this way, rotate the screw so your plunger has the most "teeth" on the end (so most thread "grooves" will be visible through the hole) when taking the pattern mould/impression, to encourage a bit of strength!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank for the replies and advice,
Strange as it may seem my son had a broken Harbor Freight band saw with allmost the indenticle ACME nut. It did have a pin with a bearing on the end. We put it in the hole on my saw and now the vice workes properly!!!
Julian

I just rebuilt my 7x12 and have the same assembly. There is a plunger that the flat spring presses down. This helps engage the nut to the rod.

It was meant as a quick vise where you do not need to turn the handle X amount of times to move the vise jaw. You can push the jaw up to work piece then tighten.

Personally, in my limited use after refurbishing the machine I hate it. It never wants to stay in place to tighten. The whole nut will rotate and has a cam action to lock against the outer brace.

I will probably replace it with a non releasing nut from a 5" saw ...

Back