Enco 8x30 Knee Mill weight

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello everybody.
I'm picking up an Enco 8x30 mill Friday and wondering if anybody has an idea how much this machine weighs? It's vintage 2002 in perfect shape from my untrained eye. Looking forward to getting it home and learning how to use it. I'm completely new to machine tools but hope to find guidance here from this great community of machinist. I also have a small Craftsman lathe, 101-07301 that I just finished cleaning up with new spindle bearings and fresh paint.
Here's the Enco. Any info is greatly appreciated, I've been unable to find much info on this machine.
Thanks guys
Jeff
Edit
Oh, this is the model number the PO gave me, I forgot to double check it when I was there.
Model No: 0319320
Thanks again
IMG_1250.JPG

That looks exactly like my Grizzly. It weighs 900 lbs.

Thanks for that ddickey
How do you like your Grizzly? Any particulars you can pass my way?

It's a decent mill for a home shop.
A little bit of a pain changing belt positions.
Make sure to lock the knee when making heavy cuts.
It's not a powerhouse but gets the job done, running 220V helps some.
Make sure the idler cone pulley is tight. Mine was lose and made a real racket until I figured out what it was.

Reactions: Z2V
Was that the mill advertised in the Austin CL located in Round Rock. That was a good price for 1100 or 1200 if I remember right, with an Accurite DRO.

Did you get the lathe also?

Yes, I'll be running it on 220v . Thanks for the other points.

Bamban,
Yes, that's the one. I wanted the lathe also but I guess the seller missed my intention and sold the lathe before I got there. It was 1100 which I feel was a great price. It's clean as can be. Seller stated rarely used, he meant it. This will completely fill my garage of every available sq.ft. but I'm exited to get it.
I see your local to me, I'm in Cedar Park.

Bamban,
Yes, that's the one. I wanted the lathe also but I guess the seller missed my intention and sold the lathe before I got there. It was 1100 which I feel was a great price. It's clean as can be. Seller stated rarely used, he meant it. This will completely fill my garage of every available sq.ft. but I'm exited to get it.
I see your local to me, I'm in Cedar Park.

Good to hear you are local, maybe we can hook sometime. I live in Anderson Mill. Give me shout bambanbarrelbarn@gmail.com

The ad popped up on my auto search while I was in California, within a minute I got the notification I called a friend in Austin to go buy both, he snoozed...he lost. Had I been in Austin, it would have been a race between us.... lol.

As Ddickey mentioned, looks like the same as a Grizzly G1004. I have the Grizzly 1008 which is the same mill with power feed on X axis. A light duty mill, but working for my needs at present.

This is the Grizzly manual which may help with some information.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1004_m.pdf

I agree changing the belts is a pain, due to insufficient travel of the motor, so the belts are not easy to get off a given pulley. In the Grizzly there is speed of 950 then next lower speed is 490 rpm with nothing in between. I like running around 700 rpm.

On my machine the idler pulley was about 1/2in higher than the spindle pulley which added to more belt noise.

I finally removed the idler pulley, flipped the motor pulley upside down and purchased a long link belt. Much quieter operation.

I now have only two speeds, but one is 770 rpm. I will eventually replace the motor with 3 phase and VFD.

My motor is a non-standard design. Not NEMA, not IEC. A motor mount bolt spacing like a NEMA 145 but with a 3/4in shaft diameter and an odd key size perhaps 5mm.

Tramming the head is nudge-and-fudge, no adjustment screws. Just takes longer. No nod feature, so at the mercy of the factory getting this correct.

The thread on the idler pulley shaft on my mill is the same as the bolts for the motor mount and to lock the head, but they are a weird metric thread. FYI in case you loose one, you would need to make a replacement.

Last edited:
Bamban
I also had the search notification and was the first to reply. That was the only reason I got it. I made appointment to meet him Monday morning at 9. Several others replied after me but he wouldn't sell the mill to them because of my appointment. Several offered more than his asking price but he said no. Ruffled a few feathers. Seller is a standup guy!
I'm at jeffincptx@gmail.com

Dave
Thanks for the link and all the points that you mentioned, much appreciated

I'll post up a few pics when I get her home.

Back