Enco 8x30 Knee Mill weight

MSC said 15 year old machine no way to figure out what motor was on it they did not use frame size like nema standards, or even the same motors year to year
Scurv

That sounds about right. I took some measurements off mine and couldn’t match them to Nema frame either.
Sounds like it’s cut it to fit, file to match and paint it so it’s purty!

Hello, I have the Harbor Freight version of this mill in a 6x26 size. The guy I bought it from add power feed on the X axis, DRO and a home built power draw bar. I just completed the conversion to a 3-phase motor and VFD with a hall effect tachometer. I used a Baldor 1.5hp motor that I got off CL and a very cheap VFD off Ebay. I probably have less than $200.00 into the whole conversion. Now with the belts set for the 1350 (???) RPM setting I can go from 200 rpm to 2200 RPM by turning a pot-meter. It had made the operation of this mill so much better. I also wired in a jog switch for both directions so I can power tap with ease. By adjusting the belts to the lowest RPM setting I have been able to get down to 20 RPM but I don't use that much. The belts have been set and forget pretty much.

Hello TM
What frame motor did you use, any problem using original mounting and pulley? If you could share a pick of your success we would like to see it.
Thanks for chiming in!

You posted them while I was replying, thanks

I couldn’t find a motor frame number on the tag.

Here is a picture of the tag.

80c4cc8e414a202e720ffc61988d833d.jpg

It had several bolt patterns in the base of the motor. I got lucky and one set matched right up.

For the pulley I had to make an adapter sleeve as the original motor had a slightly bigger shaft. I don’t remember the exact sizes but both were odd balls. There was no chance of buying something that would fit off the shelf.

This is a picture of the sleeve part way on the Baldor motor shaft.

dba241b13eee1071377d4ab08229904d.jpg

Plan “B” was to try to make my own step pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Z2V
Nice, the power feed and jog switchs were good additions. It’s good to hear a 56 frame motor will bolt up without major modifications. Good job
Thanks for the info and pics

Back