Enco 9x20 Lathe- New To Me-need Help!

trbexreq

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I am new to the forum, and need some help from someone who has experience with the Enco 9X20 lathe. I recently purchased this machine from a gentlemen who originally bought it brand new in 1994. He took very good care of it and had everything that he did to it well documented. I did have to replace the motor pulley as the old one was plastic and was broken. Replacement of the pulley was simple and the new one I purchased from Enco is Aluminum which is a nice upgrade. The problem that I am having is related to getting the V belt into the speed positions from the spindle pulley to the motor pulley. These would be speeds AC1, AC2, and AC3 on the speed diagram on the lathe. I can get the belt into the proper grooves on the respective pulleys but it is so tight, that if I engage the tension lever, the belt will snap when turned on. Per the manual, it says that the tension lever needs to be engaged to avoid breaking the belt, but that is exactly what happens if I use it with these three speeds only. Am I not supposed to use the tension lever on these three speeds? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone needs me to post pictures to be more clear, I can do that. Thanks!

a picture would help I had one of those lathes from new , used it about 4 yrs never had any trouble at all, something doesnt sound right ?
wonder if the new pully is not the right size or the belt is to short ??

I'm not sure but I've owned two of those machines and on one the belt was tight enough that I didn't even need to engage the tensioning lever but I never snapped a belt.
I think the belt you had was crappy.

I got a new belt for my 9x20 to replace the old one when it snapped, it was the same type of small rubber/plastic type it was very tight as you say on one of the pulleys I did run it with the tensioner on though.

Stuart

Run belt on slower speed pulleys.

Belt will snap, if you force it on. High speed pulley.

Or remove motor pulley, slide pulley back on, fits right up.

Charl

P1010321.JPG P1010322.JPG

Back