Enco 9x20 Up And Running

trbexreq

Registered
Registered
Enco9X20.jpg Enco9X20-2.jpg I should have started my first post with these pictures, but it has taken a little while to get this machine cleaned up and in working order. The lathe is an Enco 9X20 that was manufactured in 1994. I purchased this lathe with two 3 jaw chucks, one 4 jaw chuck, live center, steady rest, follow rest, dead center, keyless chuck, keyed chuck, and a number of other small cutting tools and accessories that came with it all for $600. I had to purchase a new motor pulley as the original one was broken. You can see the new pulley is the aluminum one in the picture and the other original ones are plastic. After installing the new motor pulley, I had to line up spacing from the motor pulley to the idler pulley so that the timing belt could be installed properly. Then, I had to make a couple washers out of shim stock to get the idler pulley to line up and keep the timing belt running true between the two gears without rubbing on something. I replaced the timing belt and V-belt and also went ahead and converted the tool post to an AXA QC tool post with an adapter I purchased from little machine shop. One thing that I originally was have some trouble with was the V belt reaching the aluminum motor pulley. The belt that is supposed to be correct for all speeds was only reaching the idler pulley speeds. I looked into everything I could think of an got some suggestions on here but the belt was simple not long enough to reach the motor pulley. The recommended V belt for this machine is a Gates 5M710 so I found a Gates 5M730 belt that is the same width but about an inch longer then the 5M710. This belt works perfectly for the 3 speeds spanning to the aluminum motor pulley of 400 rpm, 1000rpm, and 2000rpm. I checked to make sure the speeds were correct with this belt and they are, so I don't know why this is working but it is working great. I just have to use the one belt for 3 of the speeds and the longer belt for the other 3 speeds. I have started a few projects already. The first is making tone hole levelers for Woodwind instruments that I repair in my shop. I am facing and turning down stainless steel stock to the diameters I need and then some of them with be tapered. Once the machining is done, the ones with flat ends will be honed flat on my granite block with fine sand paper. When this is done they all get self adhesive sand paper 600 grit on all ends to repair and reshape wooden and plastic tone holes. So far I am really enjoying this machine and looking forward to showing some of the finished projects as I complete them. Thanks to those that offered suggestion to me so far with the initial set up.

Enco9X20.jpg Enco9X20-2.jpg

I have just bought one just like yours for the same money did yours come with the quick change tool post
I don't know what year mine is but looks just like yours

Mine did not come with the QC tool post. I had to by an adapter and the tool post and holder set. I got those items from little machine shop. There should be a manufacturimg date under the model number.

I have looked for the data plate yet , I've got QC tool post off my 6" craftsman I am thinking of mounting on mine
I also have one for a 12 - 16 inch lathe but it is pretty big. I thought about making a base to use the bigger tool post with out the compound slide .

I have a HF 9x20 like your Enco. I got a deal on mine new from HF back in the sale + 25% coupon days. I've put a QTP on it, have a 4" 4 jaw and few other things - it's paid for it's raising many times over. All that to say I think you bought well.

I have bigger qcth. coming also have 3ph motor and vfd to put on it .
just have to find time to do it

I also would like to add the reverser lever to the feed screw

I would not think you'd need anything bigger than the AXA on that machine. The cross slide can't handle much. Lot of flex there even with a 4 bolt base.

Back