Enco 9x42 Head Stuck

Earl

Active User
Registered
New to me Enco 9 x 42 step pulley mill. The head will tilt and nod just fine. The turret will rotate just fine. The head will not move in or out. I have the 2 lock nuts loose but the lever for the pinion shaft is not turning. I removed the pinion shaft and oiled it up, sprayed the dovetails with penetrating oil and then some way oil. Any suggestions?

Spray it down with some pb blaster and wait a day. Take the lock bolts out and spray in the hole to get deeper penetration to the dovetail. Dovetail rusted? It's a rack and pinion gear that moves the ram in/out don't get to crazy on the lever. Probably has never been moved with dried cosmoline on the surfaces.

Spray it down with some pb blaster and wait a day. Take the lock bolts out and spray in the hole to get deeper penetration to the dovetail. Dovetail rusted? It's a rack and pinion gear that moves the ram in/out don't get to crazy on the lever. Probably has never been moved with dried cosmoline on the surfaces.
ok I will use a dose of patience. The penetrating oil I used was PB blaster. I did remove the pinion and sprayed inside there as well as the lock bolts. I will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks

You may have to wait several days- keep soaking it and apply a generous dose of patience. Some folks rig up a big chunk of wood hanging from ropes to use as a "persuader" or "knocking log"
Once you start to see a tiny movement you have it

Ran out of Patience. removed the pinion and used a 4 ft pry bar in the back of the ram. Just a gentle pry and the ram popped loose. Now it is on to new bearings in the motor.

Back