Enco Grinder

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
1518754839263.png

I have had this for over a year now want to learn to sharpen HSS end mills. I am the third owner and do not have any written information. However, you will see a Craftsman (General Tool) drill bit holder attached to the table that works well on the machine. Two tailstocks came with it one for R-8 collets, the other has an MT3 taper. The wheel with the lever moves the table laterally("X") and the wheel in the center moves the table fore and aft ("Y"). It has adjustable column height and rotation also. A well built machine that I hope to put to good use.
Ray

Someday I’d like to be able to sharpen my own end mills also but I will probably have to build my own grinder to do so. I don’t know anything about your grinder but it looks like it’s up to the job. I’ll be watching here!

That is a tool and cutter grinder. There are many attachments for them for doing different classes of work. Some fixtures are shop made as needed. You can do a wide variety of different work with it, limited really only by your imagination, skills, and effort.

View attachment 258264

I have had this for over a year now want to learn to sharpen HSS end mills. I am the third owner and do not have any written information. However, you will see a Craftsman (General Tool) drill bit holder attached to the table that works well on the machine. Two tailstocks came with it one for R-8 collets, the other has an MT3 taper. The wheel with the lever moves the table laterally("X") and the wheel in the center moves the table fore and aft ("Y"). It has adjustable column height and rotation also. A well built machine that I hope to put to good use.
Ray
That's one heck of a grinder for your craftsman drill sharpening jig you have got there . In all I wish I had a tool grinder of that caliber here but these types of machines are very hard to come by here in Thailand and if found they always want top dollar so I'm stuck with my bench grinders and belt sanders

iMoper361
You may be aware of the Workshop Practice Series book # 38 by Harold Hall, in which he developes a grinding fixture to be used with a bench grinder. It is an excellent read and reference. You are probably right about an "overkill" on the bit sharpener but two tailstocks and some extra tooling overpowered my better judgement.
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
Someday I’d like to be able to sharpen my own end mills also but I will probably have to build my own grinder to do so. I don’t know anything about your grinder but it looks like it’s up to the job. I’ll be watching here!
Harold Hall has a good book out; Tool and Cutter Sharpening # 38 in the Workshop Practice Series. He developes a grinding stand for bench grinders.

Reactions: Z2V
Rock, thanks for the info, I bought that book about a month ago. I have a few easier projects I’d like to do first to build more experience and confidence in my abilities operating the lathe and mill. Looking forward to building one some day soon.

Moper361
You may be aware of the Workshop Practice Series book # 38 by Harold Hall, in which he developes a grjnding fixture to be used with a bench grinder. It is an excellent read and reference. You are probably right about an "overkill" on the bit sharpener but two tailstocks and some extra tooling overpowered my better judgement.
Have a good day
Ray
I was not having a serious dig about over kill just having a bit of banter i have looked at some of the grinding fixtures from harrold hall and have to agree its amazing work and ideas he has implimented .I was given a couple of boxes of engineering books that i have not looked through fully yet there could well be copy in there
Regards Nat

Back