Enco Mill - motor takes a few tries to get to full speed

Yep they will do the job.

If they are physically smaller you can glue a small piece of foam to the cap to stop it rattling around DO NOT wrap the whole cap or it may overheat.

Motor capacitors - The manufacturer selects the capacitor value to provide a phase shift of 90° between the start and run windings, this is a good compromise between starting torque and current through the winding. Increasing the capacitance will increase torque and current draw, it is usually best to go slightly lower in C for a start capacitor, although ±10% is usually ok.

uF (microfarad) is the capacitance value, the "u" is actually supposed to be a greek "mu" (micro) but most keyboards don't have a "mu" symbol, including mine. A "mu" looks like a u with a little tail
mark

Thanks. Does the "CD60" and "CBB60" represent the size of the cap? Or do I just have to do my best to find one that fits inside the covers, adding a spacer as needed?

Yes use a spacer if necessary.
In my case I could not find a capacitor that was small enough to fit under the OEM cover. Some new caps that were rated properly but were too large in size were used. I made a new cover to house the new caps. The new bigger caps seem to be lasting better than the old ones.
Note that repeated short starts and stops can be hard on the start cap.

uF (microfarad) is the capacitance value, the "u" is actually supposed to be a greek "mu" (micro) but most keyboards don't have a "mu" symbol, including mine. A "mu" looks like a u with a little tail
mark

The µ symbol is alt230, When I worked in the calibration Lab we had to use the correct symbols so there are a couple etched into my brain.

Hmm doesn't seem to work for me, but I'm using a Linux distro on a ThinkPad T400
mark

Last edited:
Hmm doesn't seem to work for me, but I'm using a Linux distro on a ThinkPad T400
mark

Off topic, but... On Linux, check your keyboard settings for your compose key. I find that on "Keyboard configuration → Layouts → Options..." but that depends on the windowing environment you are using; see GNOME or KDE documentation. I have mine set to right alt key, so I type "right-alt / u" to get "µ" — that's not holding down the right alt key, it's typing it like a normal key. There are lots of options there, like "compose-key - >" to get "→" and "compose-key ^ 1" to get "¹" and so forth. Once you know to do a search including "compose key" you'll find lots of useful information. ☺ ← "compose-key : )" "compose-key < -"

Thanks I'll check with the Peppermint forum for specifics on that topic
Mark

Reactions: Z2V
I started a motor question, and an IT question broke out. :) (too funny, I'm in IT)

I will let everyone know how this is ultimately resolved. Waiting for the run cap to show up on the slow boat from China, and then I'll swap them one at a time.

Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks for all of the help.

Back