Enco / RF-128 4x6 Bandsaw Mods

Truly amazed. I paid $166 for my saw. Replaced motor. It is a good saw and I never thought of the mods you guys have made. Excellent work.

Thank you for sharing.

BUT I did learn how to weld the blades after I ordered a high $ blade 1' too long.

mike

nice work on the stand and vise!

I tried to fit a quick clamping DP vise ,but it's too high and interferes with the bandsaw casting :(

I also have a storm-screen hydraulics that I was thinking of using for the saw,but not sure those are good enough for this purpose... still tinkering with it. will post if I decide to use it with pics.

I got my Delta 4x6 bandsaw in 2009, disliked the base and some other features, and made some changes. The attached PDF describes my mods, as well as offering a setup tip for sawing long pieces of stock.

View attachment SawMods_n_Setup_Tip.pdf

- hman
(John Herrmann)

Reading on bandsaws... need to get one.

I see in Hman's PDF... (nice build there John!) the Delta bandsaw tips up vertical.

Do most bandsaws do this?
Do they come with a table for vertical use?

THX

GA

The 4x6 bandsaws that are based on the old Delta design and are advertised as Horz/Vert, normally come with a table for vertical use. If you can find an older Jet, they were a pretty good saw. Some of the newer ones from China are questionable IMHO.

There are any number of forums dedicated entirely to down feeds and mods to improve the 4X6. Any mod you think it needs is easily found with a quick google search. Hope this helps to clear it up a little bit and BTW the Yahoo group for the 4X6 is a good place to start!!!

Bob

Here's the hydraulic I added to mine. The cylinder is one of those Sunshine things that come on the larger 7 x 12's I think, but I have a brother-in-law who works at a tool rebuild place for the oil patch and he scooped it for me. I wasn't sure how it would all come together when I built it, so I allowed for multiple positioning holes on the lower bracket. As usual though, the first hole I tried worked fine so I've never had to make use of the others.

I also replaced the really wimpy motor mount and added a couple of extended-reach bolts/taper pins for the angle adjust on the fixed jaw. Saves having to fiddle with a wrench.

The he challenge now is to attach the pics -- poking the iPad at the right spot can be iffy sometimes! Here goes...

-frank
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The cylinder is one of those Sunshine things that come on the larger 7 x 12's I think,

Yup, looks just like the one on my MSC 7x12.

20140424_083857.jpg

Nice mods BTW! Man I kind of miss my ol Enco 4x6. It was the best $100 I had ever spent, it served me very well!

Here's some more mods by wquiles whom I know from another forum.

4x6 metal bandsaw stand/base and mods ...

20140424_083857.jpg

Thanks Will. On the off chance, have you ever had to add fluid to your cylinder? Mine works but it has always been a bit spongy (probably why it was pulled in the first place) and I often toy with the idea of seeing if topping up the fluid would help. I know they're not built to be serviced though.

-frank

I have not added any fluid to mine. When I first took delivery of that bandsaw (purchased new), I noticed when I closed the valve & had it supporting the weight of the head it seeped out a tiny bit of oil. So I took the valve out & didn't like the way the oring fit, wasn't damaged but seemed a bit undersized. Replaced it & it never leaked again.

I thought about adding fluid, tried searching on the net & looking at other bandsaw manuals. No one mentioned anything about filling it except Wilton IIRC. I suppose it's not much different than filling any hydraulic cylinder like this. Mine does not feel spongy nor do I hear air bubbles in it so I just left it alone.

Sounds like yours does need some more fluid in it but sorry I don't have any tips on doing it for you.

Back