Enco (RF30) 110v wiring

tcweb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm sorry for posting, there must be dozens of posts on this topic, but I think I've found them all, and they don't apply to my mill.

I have a new (to me) enco mill drill. About 600lbs of coolness, and was able to move the motor jumpers to get it to run on 110v.
The ONLY issue is that the forward/reverse drum switch is backwards. I figured it would be easy - locate the capacitor/start winding, reverse the leads, and I'd be good.

Not so easy, apparently - my drum switch has 12 contacts, and without taking everything apart, there's no way I can map it out.

I'm hoping someone has an earlier enco mill/drill that uses the same reversing drum switch and 2HP Chinese motor. (4L-90-4, I believe)

I'll attach the pics that I have.

enco_mill_3.JPGmill_drill_motor.JPGenco_mill_5.JPGenco_mill_2.JPGenco_mill_4.GIF

I will take more pictures, and provide any additional details that may be needed. I'd like to document this well enough for someone else coming along who has the same or similar setup.

Lastly, my assumption is that reversing the blue and brown wires at the motor terminal block may accomplish what I'm looking to do... (those are the terminal blocks marked Z1W1, Z2W2). But since this config may have been wired wrong by a previous owner, I don't want to risk making changes until I'm a bit more confident.

Personally I prefer 220v as it has less draw on the power source
and more efficiency for use, MORE POWER MAN !!!!................

I can't be sure that someone didn't bungle up the wiring before I got it...it may run backwards at 220v as well. :)

Swap the Z1 and Z2 that should do it.
Norseman is correct, 220 volt is more efficient and your switches last longer
Mark

Thanks, I will try it. I wish I could use 220v, but my garage is detached from the house, and is only wired for 110v.

Sure enough, swapping the blue and brown wires above changed the direction of the motor, so now forward and reverse match the drum switch labels.

I know this is an old post but I'm not sure how to make a new one...I was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram of this exact machine. I bought one just like this but the guy said the switch was bad, he started taking it apart and it fell all to pieces and he couldn't get it back together so I have no idea what wires went where on the switch...I have a new switch but can't seem to find anyone who can figure out how to wire it up...I appreciate any help I can get

See if the picture of the drum switch (above in this post) helps. Not sure if you have the same factory wiring (colors, etc).

-Tom

Hi Turner, can you post some pictures of your hardware? Closeups of the motor and switch terminals would help
Did you buy the new switch yourself or was it included with the machine? Do you have a multimeter available?
-Mark

Last edited:
Back