Enco Vs Grizzly (g4003) Or Pm-1340gt

Djstorm100

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to purchase my first lathe that will be able for me to eventually grow in to it for my business. There is a guy near me that has a Enco 13X40 Model 510-2585.

I dare to say I've been focus on a Grizzly, PM, Clausing and Sharps (can only hope to getting the last two). Most of what I'll be doing is cutting threads and chambering rifle barrel. As needs expands I'll be using the lathe to full fill those needs.

What I'm concern with is the reliability of holding tolerance, reliability of the machine it self (including bearing). Want a machine that will last me a good while.

Would probably not consider the Enco from a long term support and quality stand point of view. If you are looking for something to last, quality and reproducibility, I think the PM1340GT is hard to beat. Probably go with the 3 phase version with a VFD. A new Clausing or Sharp is pricey, would also look at the ERL-1340 in that price range. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/erl-1340.39331/

Based solely upon user support that I've experienced, Precision Machine is hard to beat.

Just had a young man at the house last weekend to look over my machines. He works with machines every day, but when he saw me give the tailstock a little push that had it slide over about a foot and a half or so, and then he started turning the carriage and crosslide handles his jaw about hit the floor. He started running his fingers over the ways and making comments about how he didn't expect to see this level of quality in that lathe.

He's mad at me now, as instead of targeting the G4003g he is now going to have to save a few bucks more for the 1340GT. Impressed would be the word I'd use to describe his experience. :)

I got the G4003G 2.5 years ago and am extremely pleased with it. I've made hundreds of parts with it including chambering and threading some sweet barrels. This is a very accurate lathe with high quality bearings that hasn't hsd a bit of trouble. I know someday I will need to replace the motor and will 3 phase VFD it at that time. Dave

I have a 4003 that I have had for over 12 years and its been a great machine for me, and I use it every week...

I can't speak on the Enco or Grizzly, but I have been very happy with the PM1340GT. It is a pleasure to run and very repeatable.

No second thoughts or regrets at all. I would purchase the same thing again.

Mike.

I have an Enco 510 2585 that I use just about every week. It is reliable and has similar specifications as the Grizzly 4003. The assembly line did not provide an adequate carriage clamp and the shipping people failed to include a lever for the tailstock clamp but they did correct the missing lever problem quickly and at no cost. The clamp was cured by an angle iron piece that one side was modified to allow the clamp to touch the underside of the back way. The head-shaft bore is 1.375" and is threaded on the outboard end. It has a long cross slide that provides ample room for a magnetic base for a dial test indicator, which makes working with a 4 jaw chuck a lot easier than some other brands.
I have been able to make some close tolerance parts for supporting the front end of a portable generator I am modifying. Thread cutting 1" NC is no problem nor is 5/8" NF.
To date (3 years) I cannot speak to the negative comments about Enco's support.
Have a good day!
Ray

I have a Enco 13x40. Bought it new in 2004. Works fine no issues. Not sure about the quality of todays machines.

Just had a young man at the house last weekend to look over my machines. He works with machines every day, but when he saw me give the tailstock a little push that had it slide over about a foot and a half or so, and then he started turning the carriage and crosslide handles his jaw about hit the floor. He started running his fingers over the ways and making comments about how he didn't expect to see this level of quality in that lathe.

He's mad at me now, as instead of targeting the G4003g he is now going to have to save a few bucks more for the 1340GT. Impressed would be the word I'd use to describe his experience. :)
Im the young man he is talking about. I was very impressed by the pm1340gt it is a beautiful piece of machinery. And yes I am upset I now have to save a few more dollars for it. I would not hesitate to put it up against the hardinge and clausing lathes I used in school. Top notch quality there.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Back