"End Mill Doctor" ?

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
I use a Drill Doctor from time to time to restore drills for non-critical use which started me wondering if there's any sort of equivalent for end mills. By "equivalent" I'm thinking relatively inexpensive while producing acceptable results.

Anyone know of any such thing for home shop kind of use?

From what I gather it's fairly easy to do the ends but not the flutes- plus if doing the flutes the diameter will change
Most folks just replace them I think
For large expensive ones you could try Brian Gruschow:
www.endmill-sharpening.com/index.htm

Last edited:
There are simple machines to grind OD and ends of end mills, but they are not cheap as a Drill Doctor. My old machine shop teacher used to grind the ends of end mill by hand on a bench grinder, I have done so as well, with a bit of care, it works well enough for ordinary work.

Technically a good balanced bench grinder with the right wheels is the basis for a good tool grinder. Harold Hall has a good book that has the plans and explains the use of a fully adjustable tool rest that can grind endmills and drills.

If you're willing to spend a grand to just sharpen the ends this might be of interest.

I'm sure its low end compared to a professional model cutter grinder, but it about as close to the price of a Drill Doctor you're going to get.

If you're willing to spend a grand to just sharpen the ends this might be of interest.

I'm sure its low end compared to a professional model cutter grinder, but it about as close to the price of a Drill Doctor you're going to get.
Allows end mill bit diameters from 5/32" to 9/16".

Got me looking as well... and saw this video... I don't think it gets any easier than this for someone as clueless as me...

Cuttermaster Professional 1/8" - 1/2" End Mill End Grinder - GS-6 - but at US$2,995.00 !!!

Technically a good balanced bench grinder with the right wheels is the basis for a good tool grinder. Harold Hall has a good book that has the plans and explains the use of a fully adjustable tool rest that can grind endmills and drills.

I have done some preliminary work on Hall's simple end mill grinding fixture. It doesn't sharpen the flutes, just the bottom. Depending on your grinder, it may not be necessary to make any of his more-elaborate tool rests. The plain-jane tool rest found on inexpensive bench grinders sometimes can be replaced by a more flexible setup that provides a better tool rest for grinding. His online site provides some information before you decide to pull the trigger and buy his book. It also is a good idea to browse his web pages to look for updates regarding some of his tool rests and grinding fixtures. For instance, he replaced the original base mounting scheme with a couple of magnetic bases, making it much easier to place the rest exactly where you want it.

I have done some preliminary work on Hall's simple end mill grinding fixture. It doesn't sharpen the flutes, just the bottom. Depending on your grinder, it may not be necessary to make any of his more-elaborate tool rests. The plain-jane tool rest found on inexpensive bench grinders sometimes can be replaced by a more flexible setup that provides a better tool rest for grinding. His online site provides some information before you decide to pull the trigger and buy his book. It also is a good idea to browse his web pages to look for updates regarding some of his tool rests and grinding fixtures. For instance, he replaced the original base mounting scheme with a couple of magnetic bases, making it much easier to place the rest exactly where you want it.
It a great book for us beginners. I got it and was going to build his tool rest.. Even did the list of material needed to get ready to buy the materials, but at the end I got lazy and order the kit with all the material needed from Eccentric Engineering...

Attachments

• Grinding Rest - Material List-03-23-2022.xlsx
    18.9 KB · Views: 20
Look at Darex they make sharpening systems for drills,endmills, and other tooling. Great quality but you’ll pay for it.

Back