End Mill Sharpening Fixture

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
A while back, I built a tool and cutter grinder only to find it is mostly useless without a bunch of various fixtures needed to properly present the tool to the grinding wheel. So, my next step was to begin acquiring or building the needed fixtures over time. I have a really nice air bearing setup for grinding the flutes on end mills and it can be setup to also sharpen the ends of the end mills but is a lot more work than a dedicated fixture for this purpose. I spent the last few days building a dedicated fixture that is easy to set up and use to grind the ends of the end mill.
completed fixture3.jpg
completed fixture2.jpg
completed fixture.jpg
The above photos are of the completed fixture. I made it to accept 5C collets (because I have a set for the air bearing). Also in this post is the complete article of the build including photos and prints for the project in PDF format. This fixture can easily be adapted to use on many different T&C grinders. Many times an end mill only needs the ends touched up to be as good as new and this fixture makes it easy to do.

NOTE: some of you may notice the hex head bolt to lock the spindle. It won't be a problem as I only hand tighten this lock. when I get my hands on a piece of 3/4" brass rod about 1 1/2" long, I will probably make a fancy lock screw for here. ( I used material I had on hand for this project.

Attachments

• BUILDING AN END MILL SHARPENING FIXTURE.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
I'm making one. I have made a "Tinker"; real happy with it but this gets the job done nicely. The ends get the abuse,so this is a class act way to get sharp endmills again. Thanks Mark!!

The only thing I failed to show here was the draw bar that goes in the rear of the spindle and screws into the internal threads of the 5C collet. The reason is, I have one from another fixture I had made and the draw bar from that fixture works here also. I will later probably make another one for this fixture

Thanks Mark, your work is always exceptional. Hope your staying well my friend.

Thank you. I am trying to finish up projects that were started or finished and functional, but need a little dressing up to look more professional. I also want to get all the fixtures needed to use my tool and cutter grinder more. I have been in my shop very little this year and the darn year is almost half over. Between the staff infection and getting my pacemaker replaced, I haven't felt like doing much. The neuropathy in my feet and legs is getting worse and it is just hard to get around. I can get around the hose from room to room but have to sit a lot. I can see the day coming when it will be back to the wheel chair ALL the time. My shop is so crowded, I cannot get the chair in there anymore. I have to sit on well placed stools in the shop to work. I am considering trying to get the spinal cord stimulator put back in this fall and that will lay me up for a couple months, but may keep me out of the wheel chair a good bit of the time.

I too have done nothing but wait for the surgery, the pain is to unbearable to get out to the shop. Went out for a few hrs to watch my gran baby in the yard. Getting back in bed was murder . The bulging discs are causing problems internally too. July 6th I see Dr Harrop from Jefferson , I hope he says take me right to the hospital so I get done this year, I started last year in October with back drs and epidural shots with no relief. My wife's afraid ill die but either way I hope to be out of pain. I can't keep living in bed all the time.

I made a draw bar just for this fixture today. The print is here.
Draw Bar.jpg

I too have done nothing but wait for the surgery, the pain is to unbearable to get out to the shop. Went out for a few hrs to watch my gran baby in the yard. Getting back in bed was murder . The bulging discs are causing problems internally too. July 6th I see Dr Harrop from Jefferson , I hope he says take me right to the hospital so I get done this year, I started last year in October with back drs and epidural shots with no relief. My wife's afraid ill die but either way I hope to be out of pain. I can't keep living in bed all the time.

I spent over two years jumping through hoops to get my morphine pump. I works for the back pain, but does not help neuropathy pain ( no medication will help). The stimulator gives about 80% relief from the neuropathy. That is why I'm considering getting it again. I have a couple bulging discs, but most of the trouble stems from stenosis. it will cripple me completely eventually. It already messed up my bladder function and is starting to mess up my colon function. the pain is terrible 24 hours a day, cant sleep. It is amazing how much pain we can adapt to as "normal". I worry about what to do with all my machining "stuff" when I can't do it anymore.

Back