End Mill sliping

Resharpened end-mills are often out of tolerance of the collet size they were originally.

In my book the collet is the proper end mill holder.
I guess you never had one let the end mill suck down into the work... It would not happen with a Weldon end mill holder, used properly. Mounting in a collet can be more accurate, is quicker, and used less headroom, but it is really only suitable for lighter work. Weldon end mill holders are stout, but are also another place to add (or reduce) runout, and use up more headroom. I use Weldon holders whenever I have a job that will put a real load on an end mill or other tool.

Ok, How does having an end mill sharpened change the shank diam. Or am I missing something. I know it shortens them a little, and also if the diam is sharpened then that changes. Am I missing something.

I guess you never had one let the end mill suck down into the work...
Done that! Here's a video I made of a T-slot faceplate project a while ago and at 2:45 is where I discovered that my slot was a lot deeper than I intended, just got lucky that it didn't go all the way through and cut into the table. No matter how much I cleaned and tightened the R8 collet it just wasn't enough to keep this roughing end mill from slipping downward even though the nominal shank diameter matched the collet. This is what convinced me to switch to end mill holders and they've been working a lot better for me.

Back