End mills

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need some center cutting end mills now that my machine is getting in shape finally.

Looked around at LittleMachineShop.com and there are too many types; TICN, TCN, cobalt, insert, 2 flute, 4 flute....

I have a set of cheap-o 2 flute end mills that are the same diameter as the cutting diameter that are duller than clay that I've used for everything from aluminum ans brass to CRS since I got my mini mill.

Can someone shed light on this fascinating subject sparing me time, money and frustration on trial and error?

Mike.

Here is a cheap set ! o_O

Just kidding ya . Depending on what you're cutting , you'll use different grades of EMs . Easiest way to learn is to thumb thru the MSC or Grainger catalog , they explain the differences between the cutters .

See if you can find an old Enco catalog. They had a primer at the beginning of each tool section ( end mills, drill bits, lathe tooling etc.) describing the different coatings and when they should be used, as well as the different styles of end mills, drills, and lathe tools available, and when they should be used. There are a few for sale on eBay, but the prices seem a bit high for a catalog that was given away with almost each order.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Enco-MACH-...635177?hash=item3b0be51da9:g:4DUAAOSwkAxcUlR~

They might also be available in the archives at your local library

A good starting point is the Chinese 20 piece endmill set https://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-titanium-nitrade-coated-end-mill-set-5947.html Available from Harbor Freight, Amazon, EBay. I have a few of these sets for utility use, especially used when I know I'm going to destroy one, all purchased with a 20 or 25% coupon from HF.

Then keep an eye on Craigslist and Ebay for deals on quantities. Everytime I find good deals I just go buy them. You can't have too many around.

Buy new end mills as needed for a specific job. If you do buy for a job, buy at least 2, that is the best way to keep from breaking one. :)

In general, 2 or 3 flute for aluminum, 4 or more flute for steel, except 2 flute for cutting keyways. Coated or uncoated is not important in the home shop. Solid carbide is good for harder materials and/or high speed machining, but require rigid setups and a stable machine.

I buy from this NYC vendor https://www.victornet.com/departments/HS-End-Mills/110.html
He has good prices and his cutting tools are good. Maybe you can save on shipping just by going there and picking up the goods yourself. I'm in NJ and I get my order the next day UPS. Never had any problems with them. They don't have the MSC selection but they have more than enough things that will keep me going.

Coated or uncoated is not important in the home shop. Solid carbide is good for harder materials and/or high speed machining, but require rigid setups and a stable machine.
That's the answer I was looking for. My machine is getting better and better thanks to everyone's help but it's not 100% yet so I was unsure about the coatings and such.

Thanks.

If you can learn on the cheap ones, it will teach you skills that will make the good quality endmills stand up and sing when you get some. My best ones mostly came as 'by the way' purchases when I was picking up some piece of equipment from an ad. "By the way, could you use some these? $40 for the box."

I killed a lot of HSS and carbide endmills before I learned about proper cutting speeds. Other factors improve things, but that was number one.

Back