Ender 3 upgrades

The bearing mount for the lead screw seems to be about as off as the bearing ring for the filament guide. Weirdly, all of the cable clips I've printed and the cover for the LCD PCB seem to fit perfect... I'll need to investigate why circular objects are so wrong.

In other news, turns out that the belt tensioners don't work on the Ender 3 Pro, which is what I have. I need to investigate why and maybe machine them out of aluminum instead, since it's not like I don't have access to a decent lathe.

Finally, I'm using the Luke Hatfield Cura profile for PETG, and it seems to have at least the cable chain links working pretty well. Unfortunately, I think I'm not doing things quite right for the Petsfang duct -- what material did you make yours out of? What settings did you use to print it? Support? Temps? Looking at mine in the cold light of day (I'll post a picture when I get home tonight), it seems like I'm not getting good overhang quality due to the combination of hot end temp and cooling fan speed.

Thanks,
Will

I originally printed two earlier versions PLA, and they worked fine, but PETG is better, and that's what the current one is made from. They are all made to be printed in a particular orientation, but you'll still need supports from the bed for some of them. I print my PLA at 210/70, and PETG at 250/80

here's a link to belt tensioners for the ender 3 pro linky

What orientation is the correct one to print it in? I was deeply confused by that based on the Thingiverse/website pages I was reading...

Thanks,
Will

point me at the one you're trying to print. There are quite few of them. he covers almost all the popular hotends/printers.

I ended up finding it. Color me embarrassed, but it was in the page on how to assemble it in the first picture. It took me a bit to understand what in that picture was duct and what was support, but it makes sense now.

After chatting with a friend of mine with a bunch more experience, I think the thing that's most likely the cause of my issues is that I never recalibrated the extrusion step count, despite having replaced the extruder before I even turned the machine on for the first time. It's kinda surprising that I got any reasonable prints at all. I won't get to that until tomorrow, but I'll report back once I've calibrated it and done a few test prints.

Thanks,
Will

Well, it'll probably be another day before I can say for sure, but it appears that a combination of slowing the prints down a bit and tuning the extruder steps has fixed most of my issues. I'll post pictures of my series of Benchy's later in the week and you can judge how much of a difference running a little too fast and a little under-extruded makes, in a bad way.

Thanks for all the help @MikeWi!

Back