Endmill sharpening jig

Cooped_Up

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased this part of an endmill sharpening jig and I was wondering if anyone had one like this and how I should go about remaking the holders and shaft that I'm missing. I paid like $10 for it so getting any amount of sharpening out of it will do me good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_162027.jpg
    IMG_20200804_162027.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
I have one that is similar, a Yuasa. On mine, the two sets of three post guides have a small carbide ball on them. Not sure what yours are. Anyways, you will want a piece of hardened precision shaft for the bar. Maybe some case hardened linear shafting will work, but you'll need to be able to bore the end out for all your different size holders or collets, whichever route you take. The shaft will have to be very hard or it will quickly get tore up by the guides with use.

Ted

Check out Steve Summer's YouTube videos. He has one where he uses and explains his. His is very similar to mine.

Ted

I have one that is similar, a Yuasa. On mine, the two sets of three post guides have a small carbide ball on them. Not sure what yours are. Anyways, you will want a piece of hardened precision shaft for the bar. Maybe some case hardened linear shafting will work, but you'll need to be able to bore the end out for all your different size holders or collets, whichever route you take. The shaft will have to be very hard or it will quickly get tore up by the guides with use.

Ted
Do you have any idea what method of holding the cutters I should use? I could use 5c collets but I don't know how accurate it needs to be

Check out Steve Summer's YouTube videos. He has one where he uses and explains his. His is very similar to mine.

Ted
That's the only reason I bought the thing. I saw his video a while ago and I had been looking into buying one recently and stumbled acrossed it while browsing an old basement machine shop. I didn't have any luck locating the rest of it but that was enough of it for me to buy it

Do you have any idea what method of holding the cutters I should use? I could use 5c collets but I don't know how accurate it needs to be

My Yuasa came with (3) different sized bars and various precision ground adapters (holders) for the different sized end mill shanks.

I haven't given it much thought, but you might be able to get by with only a single bar using a collet. It would mean a fairly large diameter bar for a 5C collet. You would need a way to hold the bar while you tighten/loosen the draw bar to tighten the collet. It might work. Whatever method you use, you want it to run very close concentrically... How close? Well, how close do you want your end mill to be ground? I would like mine to be within tenths of a thousandth.

I made an end mill sharpening jig from scratch. Posted here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/harold-hall-simple-grinding-rest.62808/#post-526143

That worked surprisingly well! So, collets will work if the collets are accurate and the fixture is too.

Ted

I also have a yuasa model same style. The spindle can either be a 5c collet arrangement or I have another style that uses a precise hole with a setscrew then their are bushing for different size shanks. I prefer the 5c but have not had the chance to use the one without collets. Either style will work as long as the action is very smooth.

I have an air bearing. Similar but different, I know. It uses 5C collets which work very well, so to answer your question, I think 5C collets are a good route/idea. If I was in your shoes I’d do as the others have suggested, get a piece of hardened shaft, maybe even look at a piece of the ram from a hydraulic cylinder. Then perhaps bore your piece and press in some brass or bronze bushings to a close tolerance slip fit. Then you just have to sort out the 5C. Thinking this through I guess you are going to need the shaft to be hollow to allow the tightening of the 5C collets. So the hydraulic cylinder shaft wont work. Well, this is where my experience tells me that the project just became “BER”, (beyond economical repair). If you are patient though perhaps someone will part out an air bearing shaft and put it on ebay?? As a reference, maybe check out the popular sites as it might be cheaper to buy a used air bearing on craigslist, ebay or any of the others. With all that said it would be a fun project and a total opportunity to “skill build”. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMaster Carr sells hollow Thompson shafts idk what size they go up to though.
Are they hardened? I'm not sure how easy it would be to make them either hole 5c collets or make bushings for it. I'm getting a new lathe tomorrow, I doubt it will be precise enough to get the results I desire

Back